how long (2 questions plz answer both if u can)

39 weeks

ok so iv been having contractions all day

they are getting closer a a little more painful each time

any way

i was wondering how long u stayed home and how dilated u were when u went to the hospital?????

im gonna wait til li cant handel the contractions anymore but i was wondering wut other moms did like if they went when they were 5 mins apart or if they went when they could not stand the pain???

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I stayed at home until they were 5 minutes apart. Some people dilate faster than others. You don't want to sit and wait and then realize you are gonna pop the baby out right there.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my doula told me it is best to stay home till i cant take the pain anymore
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• when i went to the hosp i was 5 centermeters dialated
    Anonymous

• OK don't do this, but I waited until my water broke last time. I was 8-9cm when I got to the hospital. If this is your first baby it could be a long while before you are in so much pain that you can't stand it. If you feel you need to go then it's time to go. Don't mess around and wait till the last minute to get to the hospital... trust me it's not fun.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 10:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had to get induced. My plan was to wait until I couldn't stand it any more or when they are too close together. I think my plan was to stay home as long as possible because it's more comfortable at home. Being in the hospital stinks. Good luck! Congrats!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Well, as soon as I started labor i called my doula, and after having 3 contractions on the phone with her, all 2 minutes apart... I had to get down to the hospital. It took less than 10 minutes to get there and I needed to push before we got into the bed.

You never know how fast labor will progress, but I definetly would try to stay outta the hospital as long as possible.. I would do my best to try not to be in transition when you head out the door.. that is where I stared my labor... and it was not fun. I say just listen to your body.. you will know when its getting closer to the time. good luck!!
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 10:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would wait until they're about 4 minutes apart for an hour, and about a minute long each.

To cope:
    I imagined an ocean-- a wave would swell (with the contraction intensifying), growing. I would imagine I was on a raft, floating in the warm sun on top of the wave. If it felt like it hurt I would REALLLLY get myself up "on top" of the wave again.

And sometimes I also HAD TO stare at a circle... could be a doorknob or the sink drain... When a contraction hit I MUST look at the circle (lol!). But I would chant to myself "oooo-pen... oooo-pen..." Telling my body to unfold like a flower. The circle was like seeing a blossoming cervix.

I really needed this imagery to focus on. It helped A LOT! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I forgot to answer that I don't know how dilated I was, I never did vaginal exams... I went when it felt like I knew I wouldn't want to travel any later than *this* point. It was about 3 or 4 minutes apart with the last baby.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i stayed home till they were 4 mins apart.
    Anonymous

• I went to the hosp waaaay too early. My contractions were 10 min apart and not real painful. I'd stay home until you can't take the pain anymore or they get to be 2-3 min apart
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009