Would you let your kid eat dirt?

I was at a baseball game and a woman's 1 year old was playing in the dirt at the end of the bleachers. He was just picking it up and letting it fall on the ground. I then noticed that he was licking his hands. I looked over at the mother and she was texting on her phone. The kid then put a handful of dirt in his mouth. I looked at the mother again and she was still on her phone. The kid then picked up a cigarette butt and put it in his mouth. I said, "oh no, dirty baby" His mother finally looked up and I said he was putting dirt and a cigarette butt in his mouth. His mom just said, "I used to eat dirt and I turned out ok" and she went back to her phone.

I couldn't stand to see that poor kid eating anymore sand or god knows what else so I just moved. The mother shot me a dirty look as I moved.

I know parenting styles are different but would you have said something too or just let the little one eat trash and dirt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• You did the right thing by saying something at least somebody was paying him attention and I would've said something to
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I know we got dirt in our mouths and made mudpies but never made meals out of it.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Let her? No. She ate it on her own and I didn't get overly worked up about it, but I did try and redirect her. I would have said something about the cigarette butt at the game if I'd known about it. The mom was just being lazy, and she didn't like it when you called her on it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• You know dogs, cats, birds...other animals, use dirt as their toilet. Not to mention whatever people track on their shoes, and I've seen a few of them use dirt as a toilet.....spit in it etc.

No, I wouldn't let my kid eat dirt....and especially not cigarette butts. I would appreciate it if someone told me when I was distracted!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• I mean, I wouldn't hand him a mud pie and tell him mangia mangia, but I wouldn't freak out or anything. But, I wouldn't sit there and let him do it either, especially not cig butts.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• You gave her the opportunity to do something if she chose. I also ate some dirt as a child and if you think about it so di every other kid. Things fall to the ground and kids pick them up and eat it. Our hands are everywhere and we touch our face and mouth etc. But parenting means that you limit, to the best of your ability the dangers the world pses yo your child and you actively teach them about the safest ways to behave.
    I am afraid I would also have moved.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• Eh, if my daughter wanted to go around and eat dirt, I wouldn't freak out. But cigarette butts? That I sure wouldn't be okay with.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:15 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Years ago, my FIL told my husband that our kids would be sick because I didn't let them eat dirt, LOL. Nevermind that they've never had so much as an ear infection. He thinks I keep them too clean. Don't these people watch Monsters Inside Me?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• well, the lady had a point: look at how she DID turn out....obviously not okay if she neglects her child that way
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Ew! Yesterday I was at a hockey rink, a filthy place and there was a little kid about 15 months, I guess, walking around with cheetos. He dropped them on the floor and was eating them off the floor. His mother wasn't even looking. My daughter and I watched in horror. I was just about to say something when the mother finally noticed and picked him up. People spit on that floor. And I know it never gets cleaned. No I would never sit there and let my kid eat dirt.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2013