Did you know any plant/flower from the Lily family is HIGHLY poisonous to cats??

I did not! My husband bought me a Easter Lily, and my cat Spooky started to sneeze and wheeze just sounded miserable! Well it dawned on us he came to be ill a day or so after he got me the lily. I looked it up and found its highly toxic, and 95% mortality rate if not caught in time. The cat can die within 16 hours after eating a leaf! I was lucky and my cat had an allergy to it, and I kept out of his reach because of the obsession he gets whenever I bring a plant in.
I wanted to pass this on, and bump the hell out of this so I hope there will be no accidental kitty deaths.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Pets

• Good to know. I didn't have Easter lilies this year, but I have in the past, and our cat is obsessed with plants, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Yep, I knew that. They're also allergic to most citrus fruits, tomatoes, tomato sauces, etc. so it is important to watch what kind of scraps you give to them or what they may lick off dirty plates in the sink or steal from your plate. We have only fake plants inside, and put all other plants on the deck. We also baby-proof the house, such as making sure small objects are not left on tables or the ground that they could choke on, NO strings/rubberbands either because they will eat them and the strings could tie up inside of them, no paperclips, pennies, staples, pushpins, sewing needles, nails, screws, ribbons. Vacuum regularly to ensure nothing's on the ground and to reduce hairballs. Some cut flowers are usually okay when they're older, but I still put mine in a bathroom whenever I leave the house just to be safe. I hope your kitty will be okay!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• whoa, no i didn't, My daughter's name is Lily and we always have fresh lilies in our dining room, Plus Miss Lily LOVES kitties. We have 2 now and one of them is her "daughter". She would be devastated if something happened to her cat because she ate flowers. thanks for the info, i'll definately be going with artificial lilies from now on.
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 9:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• i didnt know that...maybe if i plant some around our house the stray cats will stop pooping in our bushes! i dont want to kill them, but maybe they'll be allergic and leave my house alone!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2013