My 2 year old doesn't poop every day, and sometimes when she does, she has a hard time. I've tried everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Prune juice? My daughters dr recommended one oz of prune juice with her morning milk or juice everyday. Also the activia yogurts. Keep in mind that not everyones "regular schedule" is regular. It isnt always necessary to go daily, but maybe one of these could help her out so it isnt painful.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yes the activia yogurt helps and you could also try pear juice
    blrusso

Answer by blrusso at 10:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• prune juice. also increase her water intake through out the day
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• MIRALAX. It is an over-the-counter medication, roughly costing $10.00 - $14.00. It works by replacing water back into the large intestine, thereby softening the stools making it easier to pass when the time comes. My youngest twin had intestinal problems at birth. She would not defecate for up to 6 days, and when she finally would, it was like dry clay. It was clearly painful and her urologist prescribed Miralax, and within the last year or so, it went over-the-counter. We had to figure out how much to give her by experimenting, so try a little at a time until you've found the right balance. Since your child is 2, I would ask your peditrician for his/her advise before using. We have been using it since our daughter was less than a year old. She has slow motility (her waste was passing through her system very slowly and by the time it was ready to pass, most of the water was reabsorbed by her body). Worked for us.
    Anonymous

• I'd try the prune juice first. And make sure she has plenty of water, not too much dairy (16 ounces max), and lots of whole grains.
    She doesn't need to go everyday but it shouldn't hurt or be hard to go even if it's every 3 or 4 days.

If nothing else works, talk to her doctor about Miralax. Yes, it's over the counter. But she's 2 and no daily medicine should be started without talking to her doctor. My daughter has been on a daiily dose of Miralax since 19 months and if I miss a day - OH BOY! I end up with 2 to 3 days of discomfort and crying until she goes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Miralax is awesome if other remedies don't work. Try the natural approach first. Stay away from apple juice. It can make it worse. My 10 yr old is chronically constipated and her tummy hurts all the time. She goes but she doesn't go everyday and she needs to. She has missed a lot of school because of it. Now I just give her a half of an adult dose of miralax a couple of times a week. She doesn't have to take it everyday. I take it as well because my vits have iron in them. Its very helpful.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2009