Woman says "My body, my choice"...but what about what the man wants?

I'm pretty sure this has probably been discussed here before, but I just saw it on Dr Phil, so it's on my mind now.

Both parties have consensual sexual relations and it results in a pregnancy. Mother has all the rights. It doesn't matter if he wants this baby, if he is willing to be the sole parent for this child, she can get an abortion if she wants. It doesn't matter how much he wants her to have an abortion, how much he says he does not want to be a father, if she decides to keep the baby, he is responsible to monetarily support child until he/she is 18.

Is this fair? If she has the control over the future of her life/her baby's life, shouldn't he have some control on the future of his life/his baby's life?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course it isn't fair, but what really is in life?

If a man feels that strongly he can go to court over it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Yes, it is fair, the 2 of them had sex and if they had not discussed the ramifications of the pregnancy then it is up to the person who will have to carry the baby for 9 months to decide.
    Now that being said, if a mother truly didn't wan the baby, and the man was willing to take it and raise it (assuming he was a stand up guy) then I would think she should consider that offer.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• The problem I have with the whole "if dad wants the baby, why should she be allowed to get an abortion?" argument is how do we ensure dad doesn't disappear? He's got 9 months to think about it and decide in the end that well, gee whiz, he doesn't really want to be a daddy after all. And now what? Now we've got a woman who carried a child for 9 months because he said he wanted it and now she's stuck with the child she didn't want. Hopefully, she'd be a decent woman and put it up for adoption, but what if she's not? What if she takes out her irritation with the father on the child she never wanted to begin with?

I agree that at first look, it doesn't look fair. But until men can carry babies and give birth, I don't really see any real way of making it fair. The only thing anyone can really do at this point is use proper protection and take all the appropriate steps to prevent pregnancy.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• It's not fair, but what is the alternative? If you give a man control, that means he could potentially force the woman to have an abortion she doesn't want.

Deadbeat dads have done a lot of damage to the male population on having rights in court. Hopefully some men are learning the importance of building a solid relationship before having kids.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Wendy took the words right out of my mouth.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Mothers have more rights because they are the ones carrying the children. And, in the case of men who don't want to be fathers, they are the ones who are 90% responsible for the child.  Until men can carry & give birth, the rights can not and should not be equal.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• It might not seem fair but really mother is the one that goes through 9 months of changing sometimes good and sometime bad changes, she is the one that goes through labor pains and the trauma of birth, and all the other aspects of pregnancy, it seems fair to me that she would have all the choices......

Answer by older at 11:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• of course it's fair. if we give men rights over a woman's body, then he can force her to have an abortion when she doesn't want one.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Yes it's fair. Not even a question.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2013

• thats the consequence the man signs up for when having sex with someone he doesnt have a relationship with. women get stuck with an unwanted pregnancy and they get stuck with no rights to decide what the woman does with that pregnancy...sounds fair to me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2013