Girl Scouts

Last year when DD was in Kindergarten I signed her up for a Girl Scout Daisy troop that my friend was the leader of. It was a great troop of 20 girls. DD got to enjoy a ton of activities and received at least 20 badges. But meetings were at another school and I would have to rush DD from her school to that other school and we were always 10-15 minutes late for the hour long meeting.

So for this school year, with the old leader's okay, I decided to sign her up for a Daisy troop closer to home. It's an okay troop, but they don't do much and are very small to where they have ALL the girls of the troop (Daisies, Brownies, Cadettes, etc.) at the meetings and meetings are cancelled all the time. Plus DD is the only 1st grader out of the 3 Daisies. Meetings are closer and easy to get to on time, but were 2 hours instead of one hour...and so far she has gotten 2 badges.

For next school year, DD wants me to sign her up again (this time will be Brownie), but I really, really, really do not want to go back to that old troop. DD wants to go back because she has made friends with the other two Daisies...who again, are going to stay Daisies whereas DD will move up to Brownies. I have found another troop that looks very promising, but am curious to know...

Does it look bad if someone goes from troop to troop to troop or do people really not even care or notice (especially when not bring the vest from one to another)?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 1:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• No it doesn't unless you have badmouthed or caused oter problems.
    You might consider becoming active in the troup yourself.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• You might consider becoming active in the troup yourself.

I am active. Each year I have been a "Parent Helper," which I pay a fee to do. I didn't get to help out as much as I wanted last year because there were many involved parents who also wanted to help (which is a good thing!). This year I do as much as the Daisy leader does, but she is so obsessed with going by this one book that it takes 2 meetings just to do one thing...and there are several things that earn one badge. I am honestly not sure what the Brownie troop does, but they don't have but a couple badges on their vests either, so guessing much of the same. I have brought up to both her and the leader of the entire troops at the meetings about the things we did last year that were fun and exciting and earned the kids badges, but they are just not having any interest in it.

AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• They are very nice ladies and the kids seem great, but quite honestly, the meetings are BORING. If DD's first year of Daisies were anything like this, there's no way I would have signed her up for a second year...but I know how fun it can be and how rewarding it is when you earn another badge for doing something and I just want THAT for her.......not this.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• My DD is a girl scout drop out. It wasn't so much that we moved from troop to troop ourselves, but every troop she was in collapsed. We got tired of trying to find a new troop so she just quit. They don't care how often you move them. So long as the girls are happy and you aren't inconvenienced
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2013