Have you ever seen anything like this? *re: visual disturbance*

I do have high blood pressure in which I take meds for. I know that can cause an illusion of light. I also have experienced alot of paranormal in my life. Between dreams that come true, shadow figures, hearing people that I can't see, having things touch me that I can't see, knowing things before they happen...and so forth.

Well I occassionally see a bright white streak out of the side of my eye. Once it was right in front of my eyes and had very sharp defined edges where they looked like 2 narrow tall rectangles. It's only been the last 7yrs that I've lived here and it's only in my bedroom. I've looked a little up online and I've found various explanations.

My mom has heard voices call her name and briefly when she was in therapy she was asked if she heard voices or was spiritual. She said she told them no to both. I don't have the psychological issues that she does but...once a psychic told her that her third eye was closed and if she'd open it she would see amazing things.

I'm terrified to mention it to my doctor. What if it's paranormal ( in which case can't quite be proven anyway ) but their theory will stay on my permanent chart if they think I'm crazy.

Please tell me what you think...whether I get offended or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Health

• Did you google "retinal tear" yet? Hurry!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I was going to say migraines too, Butterfly. All of my migraines start with lights in my vision.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Migraines?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Migraines don't always result in headaches. Sometimes you just get the nausea and visual disturbances
    I believe in spirits,but you need to rule out a medical reason 1st

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Not during the time I see these but yes I get those
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Hate to burst your psychic bubble but you probably have the beginning of a retinal tear & floaters. Google it then make an appt. with a Ophthalmologist ASAP. Time is of the essence here!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I do get periods of blurred vision and my doctor knows about it. she said since it's been a yr since my last eye exam to get one and let her know what they say. she wanted to start with my eyes first to see if that was the cause of the blurred vision before looking at alternatives
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Migraines my hav the streaks of blinding white light sometimes. Have you had your eyes checked recently? It seems to me that I read something about one of the regenerative eye diseases that had symptoms in the early stages similar to what you describe.

I do know that some brain tumors can press on various parts and cause us to experience things that are not there but those require a scan.

I don't discount the possibility of the paranormal  but I agree that many people would think that you are nuts, especially if you have a family history which includes metal illness.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• A retinal detachment is commonly preceded by a posterior vitreous detachment which gives rise to these symptoms:

flashes of light (photopsia) – very brief in the extreme peripheral (outside of center) part of vision
    a sudden dramatic increase in the number of floaters
    a ring of floaters or hairs just to the temporal side of the central vision
    a slight feeling of heaviness in the eye

Although most posterior vitreous detachments do not progress to retinal detachments, those that do produce the following symptoms:

a dense shadow that starts in the peripheral vision and slowly progresses towards the central vision
    the impression that a veil or curtain was drawn over the field of vision
    straight lines (scale, edge of the wall, road, etc.) that suddenly appear curved (positive Amsler grid test)
    central visual loss
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Sounds very familiar :-( I should've been added to my husbands new insurance and wasn't. We are faxing them proof that I'm his spouse for the third time so they better hurry and not screw it up this time so I can get an appt!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2013