Discrimination?

This happened many years ago before discrimination was really in anyone's vocabulary.
I had my Psych degree and had applied to a care facility for children. I had all the credentials that they needed and wanted but when it came time for the hire I was called in and told that I would not be hired because of my size.
I was 5'6" and weighed 72 lbs. I had a brown belt in judo as well as first responder training.
Certainly then there was no recourse, though it made me angry. I was politely told I would not be hired anywhere for this type of work.

If this had happened in the present day, would it have been considered discriminatory?
It had nothing to do with sex, orientation, religion, race, or age.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 3:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know - I'm inclined to think not. I would think that their reason for not hiring you was the theory that you were too small/not strong enough to control an out of control child/teen/young adult. It's a fairly reasonable theory, I think. And while you may have been able to prove that you were fully capable of it, allowing you to prove it (if it turned out you couldn't do it) could have opened them up to some serious liability.

So, I guess while it could be discriminatory in some cases, I'm not sure I think it was here. I think they did what they felt was reasonable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• well if the job required you to be able to lift heavy things, then no it wouldnt be consider discrimination. but other than that yeah it probably would be.

man...5'6 and 72 lbs...thats really tiny!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• It probably would be considered discrimination nowadays if you could have performed your job duties in spite of your small size.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Many years ago my boss at the time would constantly throw sexual innuendos at me & once he told me "you would look better with your legs behind your ears!" It was a predominantly male workforce & about 10 other Men were in the room & laughed with him. Only one Man came to me later on to say he felt badly about it. How is that for sexual harassment? Yea that was unheard of at the time so I just let it go so I wouldn't lose my job. I grew a thick skin & I continued to work there for 13 years. :P

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Maybe, maybe not. I applied for a psych ward job after a graduated from college. I was denied because they didn't think that I could take down a grown man in a psychotic rage if needed. Quite frankly, I agreed with them & quickly became grateful that I was not hired.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Maybe. My mom used to talk about when she was very first hired at her office job in the 60's. Women were fired for being overweight.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I was exceptionally strong. My father had MS and was close to 200lbs. He had to be lifted many times a day and I was pretty much the one doing it.
    The job was caring, supervising children with mental issues. Sometimes they get violent and can be exceptionally strong.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Yes NP they could be. The workplace is nothing like when I first entered it lol.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I tend to agree with you wendy though my qualifications should have eased their minds. Judo is more geared to learning leverage and to "know" where your oponent is going to move.

It seems the discrimination and disrespect are the hot words right now, so it seemed like a fun thing to look at.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2013