Do you think my dog is feeling any discomfort?

When a dog has no kidney functioning properly and broken ribs :(
Should I just get her put to sleep or let her last days with us be comforting and talk to until the moment comes...:(

We found her and want her but the vet said to put her to sleep but there are times she looks happy then she looks blah she won't eat and if she does she throws it up. I don't want to take to get put down it is too hard.

I don't know what to do God Bless her...I just want the suffering to end poor baby..

Thank you ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Pets

• I know it is a hard decision to make, but if it is at your vets recommendation that your pet be put to sleep I think you should really consider it. I'm terribly sorry.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Hold her while the vet puts her out of her misery.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• This is very sad & I myself have experienced this. It is more humane to listen to the vet & make her last days happy & not ones of total suffering. God bless her little heart :(

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Back in 2002 I took one of our cats (6yo) into the vet because she started to look too thin. Turned out she had lost more than half her weight (did not know she wasn't eating because we had other cats...). One kidney was shriveled up and other other was very dysfunctional. Vet said she had 2-6 weeks to live, although closer to the 2 weeks. She died 9 years later after leading a very happy and active life. It is amazing what an animal with a will to live and an owner with the want to keep that pet alive can accomplish. If you are willing to do what would need to get done, I would get a second opinion. 
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• All our Misti needed as a "peg tube" where we could easily give her meds and Pedialyte twice a day (you can see the tube in her side in the picture below of her stalking the gerbils)

AllAboutKeeley

• Having lived thru broken ribs, I can vouch for how painful they are. As for the other health issues you mentioned, I think I would have to do what the vet recommended. I have 2 dogs that are 13 & 14 & if the time comes to make that very difficult decision, I know I would do it b/c I love them & don't want them to suffer. So sorry. *Hugs*

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I had to out down a very sick Yorkie that had been with me for 15 years, it took all I had in me to do this, but it put an end to his suffering and mine. It has been one of the toughest things I have ever had to do, unpleasant but needed to be done....gather your courage and if you love this dog, do it for him.....

Answer by older at 5:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• ^^^ Agree with Dard
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I had to put down my first guide dog several years ago, and it felt like I was ripping my own heart out and stomping on it. But sometimes the last full measure of devotion means letting go.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• If there is no chance of her recovering then the kindest thing you can do is to have her put to sleep. I worked at vet clinic for 13 years and saw many animals suffer because the owner could not bring themselves to put their beloved friend to sleep. Which I totally understand, having been faced with this decision, saying Good-bye is the last thing I wanted to do.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2013