Dh keeps losing important things and its driving me crazy!!! UPDATE: MAY 2

Dh has always had a problem with keeping up with his crap. When we first got married he would lose his check on Fridays because he stupidly put it in his back pocket. Then over the years he has lost his wallet several times and each time I have had to cancel and replace everything.

He started lose his keys on a weekly basis at work and at home. After all of this I told him he needs a designated area in the house where he put his wallet and keys at every time he walks in the house. This has worked for the past year.

Fast forward a few months ago and he lost his WEDDING RING!!! I was and am beyond pissed. He believes he lost it at work but has yet to replace it. And then last night he lost the key to his car.

Back story: 2 months ago he broke the black plastic piece on the key so you couldn't put it on a ring anymore. I told him he would have to go to the dealer to get a copy made. In the meantime he had been keeping the key in his wallet. Apparently he never went to get the key made and lost it between Monday night and last night.

Its going to cost around $260.00 to replace the key!! I'm so sick of wasting money because he keep losing things. What can I do or what can he do because I'm at my wits end with him and his absent mindedness. Update Dh found the missing key IN DA YARD! But since then he has misplaced his keys twice!!! Tonight at 1130pm he calls me from work and tell me he locked his keys in the car. I had to wake my 3 small kids up (including a newborn) and go out to his job 30 minutes away to unlock his door!!! I'm sooo sick of this. Every suggestion has been used.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Relationships

• Wedding ring,,,My DH. Misplaced his in the house for a month. I stopped wearing mine tell he found it. My logic is if he is going to walk around without his ,acting single in public. I am too.
    Keys and wallet. I would kick his ass!

Answer by louise2 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• ...
    you can't MAKE him remember things- all you can do is come up with ways to help, which it sounds like you have done with the wallet and such. Why didn't you go ahead and get a key made, just in case?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• @charlotsomtimes
    I didnt go have it made because I had other things to do that day (the day the thing broke) and im not his mom. I figured he was capable of doing it himself.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• How long have you been married to this guy? How old are you both?

Answer by louise2 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Have you/he addressed this problem with his doctor?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• @louise2 we will be married 4 years in may. hes 27 and Im 26
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• @ Dardenella No i haven't. Its a medical problem??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I didnt go have it made because I had other things to do that day (the day the thing broke) and im not his mom. I figured he was capable of doing it himself.
    *******

Yeah- I figured I'd get the "I'm not his mom" type of answer, and I get it- but if you know he loses things like that on a regular basis, it would make sense that you have a back- up just in case, and he doesn't sound like the type to go take care of it himself(based on this post) is all
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Probably at this point, I would say he has to suffer the consequences of losing his stuff, and quite doing things (like canceling credit cards, ordering new ones, buying a new wallet, etc) for him. Make him do it so he has to suffer the ill effects of being so absent minded. I'd tell him we don't have household money to replace his key now, so he should think about selling some items on craigslist (or whatever) to come up with that cash. Maybe making him actually realize the full extent of what he is doing will help him...

GL... I"d want to kill him, too.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• @charlotsomtimes i guess ur right
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2013