Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

i have a toothe thats already half gone and now the other half is loose but i have the root of the tooth still in my gums and its causing so much pain what should i do?

Answer Question

Asked by fee316 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • You need to get a crown or get the tooth removed. My husband had the same problem and they put in a crown. It's super expensive, but it takes care of the pain. If you don't have insurance, you can always try the discount dental plans at or look up a free dental clinic. Most areas have the free dental clinics and some dental schools give reduced price charges to let their students work on you under the supervision of a professional dentist. Some dentists can work out payment plans, too. Carecredit is a popular payment plan credit provider.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 11:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

  • In the meantime, you can also go to the store and buy some Anbesol, which is medication to numb the gum and reduce the pain temporarily. Take 1-2 tablets of Tylenol or Advil (acetaminophen or ibuprofen). Call the dentist in the morning.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 11:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

  • YOU NEED TO Go to the dentist!!! Duh!!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

  • Start rinsing every day with a peroxide water mix- helps prevent infection. See a dentist- if you have the insurance now, see a dentist. I have no insurance, had this exact thing happen last September, and our free clinic just got me in to see theirs- I now have an abscess where the piece of tooth broke out, and the wisdom tooth next to it is severely infected; now I am waiting to hear from their oral surgeon. So yeah. See a dentist as soon as you can- there should be someone there intelligent enough to figure out your insurance, and if not I would (gently) remind them there is a handy number on the back of the insurance card for providers to call.... Good luck!

    Answer by preacherskid at 8:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

  • Go to the health dept. and have them refer you to a dentist that takes your insurance or who will work on your teeth on a sliding scale pmt. plan. You do need to do something or continue to hurt. My father-in-law faced the same issue and ended up pulling it out himself. He drank a lot of whiskey, took a pair of needle nosed pliers and yanked that sucker out. He was 100% better two days later, though it grossed the rest of us out. For pain relief for now, Rinse your mouth out with warm salt water and take an over the counter Percogesic - it works very well for pain, don't drive or operate machinery when taking it as it makes you drowsy. GL I hope you feel better soon.

    Answer by Sierrarose99 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.