Bassinet or crib?

So I'm trying to decide if I should get a bassinet or skip that and just put my ds in his crib when he's first born. Anyone have any ideas for me? I'll be breast feeding but his crib will be in our room the first little while. Just not sure if I should get a bassinet and have him close to me at night or skip the bassinet and just go to the crib right away since it'll be still pretty close just not right next to the bed.

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 6:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would skip the bassinet, especially if the crib will already be in your room.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Well the bassinet is an added expense. It only lasts a few months. I used a pack and play with the bassinet attachment on the top. It was good because I didn't have to reach way down for the baby. And then I thought I would use the pack and play later on, but actually, I never used it again after that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I would skip it. or get a pack and play with the basinet thing on top.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I was thinking the same thing. Haha. Just wanted to know if others would have the same opinion! Lol thank you!
    mandi_m

Comment by mandi_m (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I would skip it. They aren't used for very long and just take up money and space.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• we used a pack & play with a bassinet top for both babies and it was great. our bedroom wasnt big enough for all our furniture and the crib so it was a must...plus i could move the bassinet into the living room or wherever so i could keep an eye on them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Bassinets are cute, but some previous posters are right - it's just more money. Babies are expensive as it is. Don't get things you may not need. We had a hand-me-down bassinet for my son (so no money spent) and we only used it for TWO WEEKS because it seemed to not be enough space for him. Despite him not being able to roll at that point, he still managed to wiggle all over the place and would wake up shoved into the side of the thing! After that he slept in our bed to make night feeds easier.

I also agree with okmanders. Get a pack n play. I had a secondhand one and we got a lot of use out of that, for weekend trips, etc.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Have you considered co-sleeping?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• We did use a bassinet, but only for a short time. It meant a lot to DH to have it and he surprised me with it. If it were up to me I would have done the practical thing and just stuck with the crib. Especially because we set the crib up in our room at first, anyway. It's really no different for the baby imho.

Also, we loved using the pack and play with the bassinet attachment in our living room. I'm short and it made it so much easier for me to reach her until she was bigger. lol.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I got a pack and play that has a board on the bottom that you can make a "bassinet" with, kept that downstairs, because I had a C-section, crib upstairs for night.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2013