How big was your wedding?

My fiance and I got engaged in December. Planning our wedding (it'll be next September) has already been insane. Initially we were looking at about 150 guests - mostly my family, which is HUGE. When we started looking at venues, we realized that even if we found a place with a decent base cost, we'd be going out of our budget just to feed all of our guests! If finances were easier for us, we'd probably go for the $20,000+ wedding we'd be looking at for the place we loved... but we have other things pulling at our bank accounts. We're looking at buying a house either this year or next year, getting a "new" car, and potentially taking my ex to court to even out our time with my son - all within the next two years. So the "dream" wedding is ultimately out of the question.

So we've cut our guest list down to either 70 (without the parts of my fiance's family that he can't stand) or 114 with his family included. His mom says his family will be generous and they usually give money as wedding presents, so I think we should invite them even though he is not a fan of his dad's side of the family.

Then we started thinking about the option of just taking our parents, my sisters - LOCAL family and having an extremely small wedding without all the bells and whistles, and perhaps just hosting a reception later. I'm not an extremely girly-girl, and I haven't been dreaming of my wedding day my whole life and all of that... but I still think I would regret not having the people I love all there with me, someday down the line.

Anyway, not really looking for advice here...

Just curious how big your weddings were. How many guests, approximate budget, etc.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Relationships

• Married May 1997. A little over 100 guests. Paid around $3,000 for it. Had seven months to do everything...did it all in the first three.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• For the wedding, it was just him, me, the minister, and a photographer. At the reception, there were about 20 family members. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Sorry- I misread the post- I thought you were paying $20,K for your wedding. What you have in mind, a small intimate wedding with close family is fine. It's whatever you want your day to be! Girly girl or not, it's still your day. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Very small, like 30-40 people (I can't remember). It was under $3000 for everything. It was a very informal outdoor wedding, which was fine. Looking back 15 years, if I could go back and do it all over again, I would elope.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I can't help you much, lol. It was just DH, myself, his cousin and his cousin's wife, his grandmother (who officiated) and her husband, at their (the grandmother's) house where we also had a home-cooked meal afterwards with cake. His family is so large that we just decided to have it be just us (the cousin and wife are our best friends, so we wanted them to be our witnesses). We had originally planned to have a renewal later, but that was really just to appease other people, and we ultimately decided we were happy enough - that BEING married mattered more to us than GETTING married, if you get what I mean. Not that there's anything wrong with however someone decides to celebrate their love and commitment. Different tastes/styles is all :)

I wish you all the happiness, and that, however you do decide to do your big day, it is something that makes you happy and is a wonderful memory for years to come
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• 10 people, counting us.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Hubby's family is huge- so we had about 200-250 people. We had 8 in the bridal party. (plus my boys as ring bearers & my half sis as my flower girl) My dad & my Gpa gave me away. A friend of the family helped with pics, my sil gave the cake as a wedding gift. We did cut some corners, & got some good deals too. But it was also 15 yrs ago, so I'm sure prices have gone up in that time. That seems like an awful lot of money for just 1 day, when it could go for a down payment on a house. I bet you could cut that budget in half, at least. Shop around & look for deals. GL :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• DH lived in Florida and I lived in California and we had friends and family we wanted to invite from coast to coast. We decided to get married in Las Vegas to ease our obligation to entertain people that were from out of town and to keep the guest list down. Only the people that really wanted to be there were going to come and that's pretty much what happened. Everyone had a great time and the cost was sometng we could swallow.
    If I were you, I would only invite the people that I really wanted at the wedding. I wouldn't invite anyone that I didn't care much for on the hopes that they were to give me a gift of money, or anything else really. The wrong guests can really screw up a beautiful day.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Ours was the week before Christmas, so we knew we wouldn't get a crowd. I have a big family, but they lived about 4 hrs away, also shortening the list of available guests.

We ended up with 40 people. It was under $4k for the whole thing. I don't regret it at all.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Very small. No reception. Two attendants and a few family members.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2013