How much do you know about the Holocaust? Do you children know about it?

How old are they? What do they know?

Been watching a lot of documentaries recently. I am considering teaching my kids about it myself. What an amazing way to teach then tolerance and when happens when hate rules. My children are 8 and 10. I will of course stick to age appropriateness but I think I want to.

Didn't know where to put this...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• My oldest is only 6 yrs old so, she really hasn't been exposed to it yet.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I know what I feel is a lot...I did a lot of research when I found out my grandfather fought in the war(on the German side)

But my dd is 3 1/2 so she could careless right now lol
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I know quite a bit about it. My 8 year old doesn't know too much. He does know about WWII. In our school district, they start studying the Holocaust around 6th grade. I think that is an appropriate age to start. I do plan on taking him to the Paper Clips Project/Monument in Whitwell, TN when he does study it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I do know quite a bit and my children as well. I do not think my grandson knows much if anything yet.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• Alot, my parents grew up during it, I don't want to go into details, but my kids are aware of it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• I know the standard stuff from school, and a lot more in-deph details than I ever really wanted to know because I've proofread a couple of heart-wrenching autobiographies of survivors. My teenage stepson is somewhat aware that it happened, but it concerns me that it isn't very real to him. Then again, school isn't his forte. My daughter, at five, hasn't been exposed to it. She wouldn't understand why people could be so mean and hateful, I'm sure.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• We study it two different years in school and I took a tour of the Dachau Concentration Camp in Germany, it was one of the most infamous of WWII concentration camps.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• BTW, I read where Justin Bieber put in the Anne Frank Guest Book, Anne was a 'cool' girl I am sure she would have had Bieber Fever.
    Umm probably not Justin, she was in hiding and had to be quiet, it made me feel sad that he was that arrogant.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• It isn't necessary to teach you kids about the holocaust or about acceptance of others.
    what is mandated is teaching your children to speak for those without a voice.

You must teach your children that:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

So are your children "Good"?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2013

• im sure i know a lot but not near as much as id like to. my kids are 4 and 2 so i have no plans on introducing the Holocaust to them anytime soon. my 4 year old and i have had talks about being nice to everyone and that if she sees someone being bullied to go tell a teacher.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2013