How to keep my son busy?

My 16 month old gets bored very easily. No matter whatever toys I bring him he plays with them for few days and then just throws them here and there in the house. Can anybody suggest me how can I get my child engaged. We take him to the park frequently and for a walk also. Even some friends also visit often but that is not enough for him.

I am stay at home mom and can play with him but what should I play or how should I engage him. I tried reading stories also but he is too active to sit at one place.

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a big cardboard box

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• We tried that also. he likes to come in and out of the box but that too for 1-2 days only.
    newmommy121211

Comment by newmommy121211 (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• He's a toddler. Short attention spans are what they do. Just rotate the things that you give him to play with and vary the times that you go for a walk and he will seem less bored.

Also, take him to the zoo, a different park, story time at the library, give him some pots and pans when you are in the kitchen, have your own story time. My grandfather used to walk around the neighborhood with me in a stroller and name the trees and flowers. I still have a fondness for certain varieties of flowers from that.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• ^^This

You're expecting him to be way more focused than he is able to be. Don't keep buying new stuff....just rotate the old stuff.

One thing that I remember from when my kids were little was that they were seeing things for the first time ever. So, what seems boring and every day to you is an entirely new experience for him. So help him to find things around the house and at the park to experience.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Toddlers all have short attention spans. Everything is new and exciting for them, but they're always eager to move on and get to the next new and exciting thing. Do you have a place for your son to splashhishands in the water, pour water from one container to another, watch items float and sink, that kind of thing? Also, let him hear different kinds of music. There are a lot of fun CD's for kids, such as Wee Sing Mother Goose and others by Wee Sing.

Also, build self-entertainment into his routine. At that age, only for a few minutes at a time, but it's important that he doesn't start to see you as the provider of all things interesting.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Switch up the routine as much as poss. Maybe put some of his toys "away" & rotate them every other day or every couple of days, so he doesn't get bored. Before he gets up, you could set up 5 or 10 min. stations, in your living or dining room. Coloring book & crayons here. Blocks over there. play dough over here. Then let him pick which station he wants to go to next. Spend a few mins at each station & then move on. When the weather is nice I take my kids outside as much as poss. We set up play area's in the yard. Toss the ball in the bucket here. Chalk over there, cars & bikes over there. We race to each station & play for a bit then move on. We also go for walks to different parks, playgrounds, & area's as much as poss. So the same place doesn't get old, & they have new kids to interact w/. I agree that he needs to learn about independant play time too though. Just work it in for little amounts of time in between activities.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Library! Call your local Library. Most have Infant/toddler playtime. They offer all kids of programs for Free. You just sign up for the ones you want. Most are in the mornings before nap time. Thay have singing & dancing where they play with toy instruments, free play with lots of toys & other kids the same age, crafts, playdough day, themed days like Pirates, Dora etc. Then you can borrow some DVD's for him on the way out! y Son Loved it! They have Halloween Parties, Pretend Pool Party where they fill blow up pools with balls & they pretend to fish (no water). Puppet Shows, Balloon Day! Call or go in to ask!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2013