What kind of indiviual dental insurance plan do you have?

Looking for dental insurance for myself. Do I just get preventative (cleaning and xrays) $15 a month or should I have something a bit more covering more?

momofne

Asked by momofne at 10:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2013 in Health

• I don't have dental insurance but Humana has a plan that is about that range. It's basically preventive care only, any work you need to have done has a 6 month waiting period.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I have EDP but I think it's only available in NY. It's excellent! Cleanings & X-rays were costing me $350 per visit. Now I pay $60. Call an Insurance Broker & see what is available in your area.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Met Life through DH's work.

I would say with children to do something more than just a preventative plan.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I don't have dental insurance. My dentist's office says it's not worth the expense of insurance. Not sure I agree but I can't afford dental insurance anyway

Answer by admckenzie at 4:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I have Delta Dental insurance which my work offers - and my cost for it each check is quite reasonable (for our family of 5). As a former dental professional I would suggest you get a plan that covers preventative (cleanings and such) and basic restorative - as you never know when something might happen and you need to have some dental work done.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• There are other options like discount plans which you can use immediately, and as often as you want, saving up to 80% off of the cost of regular dental fees. Insurance is expensive. And you're only covered up to about $1000 per year, which considering the cost of dental procedures today, will allow you (roughly) to have x-rays, cleaning and one filling before you're cut off. You also have a waiting period on most procedures. Discount dental plans cover an entire household, begin at $14.95 and cover everything. Even cosmetic surgery.
    joulieen

Answer by joulieen at 10:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2013