Did your kids learn more or enjoy private school or public school more?

Right now my kids go to private school. My daughter is in K and my son is in pre-K. We are unsure if we can afford the school next year. We want to continue sending them to this school because it is a good a school and I like what I see from my kids from being there. However, I have heard that the neighborhood public elementary school is decent as well. My daughter has been at this private school for 2 years. Lately, she has been asking to change schools.

For those parents who switched their kids from public to private or from private to public, how did your kids deal with the change of environment? How are they liking the situation?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 11:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We did the whole "Private" school for one year. However, we did it in the middle of their public school roll, so it didn't go over well. My thoughts... if you are going to do it, do it before when they first start school. The kids form their little cliques really fast, so if your kids are "insiders", it doesn't go over so well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• My oldest only switched from private to public this year for 9th grade. He is having the time of his life. He finally has a really good friend who reciprocates within the relationship. It's been a win for him.

DD is switching to the same high school next year for 9th. Hopefully she will have a good experience as well. Unlike her brother, she isn't so thrilled to switch.

They went to a really small private school where their entire grades were/are 20 & 19 kids. The cliques were very welcoming, but for my science geek, really good kid son he was well liked, just not included. Probably because he was too busy thinking about things rather than thinking about being social.

DS2 goes to the same private school and we plan on keeping him there through 8th grade. But he's only in 2nd now, so we'll see.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Mine all started in private. Last fall, as they were going into kindergarten, first, fourth, and fifth, we switched to public. It was the best thing we could have done. The younger two have learned more than the older two did in those grades, and the older two are now way ahead of their friends in the private school and our oldest is in the gifted program, which the private school does not have. I wouldn't go back to the private school for anything.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• DS went to pre-K private school and while he loved it and learned a lot he is a lot happier in public school. He had a great transition from private to public.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I honestly think if you support your kids in their feelings about the transition, any change can ultimately go well.

We have our kids at a private school. It's K-8, so after middle school kids have to make a change. The graduates from the school have a good reputation at the public high school, as being particularly accustomed to critical thinking, independent thought & self-directed work.
    One of this year's graduating students returned from visiting the local high school (attending classes for a day) & she commented sadly that "The kids and teachers don't really talk to each other, except to clarify the homework assignments." She perceived a "barrier" between students & teachers that obviously stuck out to her as very different from her own expectations & experience.
    We want our kids in this private school because progressive education is aligned with our values & distinct from other schools here, public or private.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2013