My child was almost ran over at school today

This is not a question. This is just me trying to calm down & to stop thinking of what could've happened.

My child had just gotten out of the car and went to the crosswalk. I stayed stopped because the guard put up her sign and waved for my DD to walk across to get into school (the same as countless other mornings). My DD starting walking across, I waved to her, everything was normal. But then the car in the lane to the right of me started driving. She had already dropped off her kid & wasn't paying attention. I saw the whole thing. She literally came within inches of hitting my 6 yr old child. I saw the horror on my child's face as she froze, the anger of the crossing guard running toward her. It all happened so fast. And, it took everything in me (with the help of my 3 yr old being in the backseat). To not immediately run out of my car & rip that lady a new one.

My DD continued to cross and hurried into school. I got out of the drop off lane, parked and went to go check up on my DD. She claimed she was okay & not scared. But, I know her, she already has a fear of big trucks & cars in parking lots. I know she was putting on a brave face for school. I hugged her and gave her a ton of kisses. The school officials were extremely concerned & apologetic. I was not angry at them because I know that it wasn't their fault. Though I do expect to see changes to the drop off procedure.

But, now my mind keeps wanting to go to a dark place. I keep thinking about what could've happened. What a full-sized sedan car could've done to a 47 lb 6 yr old's body. I'm literally holding back tears.

3libras

Asked by 3libras at 11:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• (((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))
    Try not to go there.... she's ok... and that is all that matters in this moment!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• You're stringer then I am. I would have jumped out and started punching the bitch. I am so glad to hear she's okay.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Thank goodness she is OK! Doesn't the School specify "No Passing" when you drop off in the "Drop Off" lane? I'd call the School, tell the what happened & they should send home reminders of the drop off safety procedures. My Son brings them home in his backpack every other month & they are also reiterated on the monthly PTA letter that is sent home. Your child's School NEEDS to send these reminders home! That is BS!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• The almosts and could-have-beens don't count. Your daughter is okay, that's what matters. Take some deep breaths. I'd be freaking out, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• That is so scary.. I'm glad your child is okay. I don't think I would have been able to hold back with the mom not paying attention, early in the morning, when dozens of kids are being dropped off at the same time. Some people..
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Hugs
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• So glad your little girl is okay.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Hugs to you, but hang in there. Anything can happen to anyone at any given time. Like I always say, you can walk out your front door and have something happen to you. You need to focus on the good things now. Play with your 3 year old, watch something happy on TV. Your child is safely at school now. Nothing happened.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Thank goodness it didn't happen, a couple of years ago the same thing you described happened but the mother hit the child, the child broke her arm, but thank goodness she didn't get really injured or killed.
    Now our school only allows drop off on the right side of the street, the one closest to the school, if you come in from the other way, you have to turn around and get in the right hand lane, maybe you should suggest this to the school?
    We have alot of walkers as well, and they must go to the stoplight to cross the street with the patrol lady.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2013

• UI hope the person who did this was reported to the police, she should be getting a ticket at least, your poor dd! ANd you for having to see that. scary.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2013