My daughter has noticbly been repeating phrases. "Can I go to the park? The park?" "Can I have some cocoa? Some cocoa?" "Can I go outside? Go outside?" Ideas?

3 years 8 months with a brother 22 months older. They both go to daycare and have never had "baby talk". Possible hearing issues, but if so it is minimal. Being tested tomorrow.

manup1111

Asked by manup1111 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002403/
    Check out that article. It talks about the different basic forms of speech disorders children can develop- most of the time it is because they are growing and developing faster than their vocabulary, and they can develop stutters, repetitions, etc. My odd is four and repeats the first part of her sentences sometimes, usually when she is "on the spot" and there is a lot of attention on her. We don't emphasize it or put any pressure on her to say it right the first time- that can make them uncomfortable and make it harder for them to grow out of the impedient.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Maybe she's just being annoying, my dd does the same thing when he knows it irritates me.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Either she's just having fun,or is turning into a parrot. Check for feathers.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Obviously you are not moveing fast enough for her! LOL! She wants it NOW!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• If a child thinks an adult is not paying attention to them/what they are saying. They will keep saying the same thing over and over tell you answer them. Or tell then to shut up.

Answer by louise2 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Children go through quirky stages. They try something out an either it is fun or not. I would just tell her that saying it one time is enough. And laugh and then ignore it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Sorry, here ill tell you what you want to hear. She's probably going deaf, she can't her herself ask you so she just repeats. Smh
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• You said they go to day care? Could be learning it from their. Other kids doing it. Daycare workers not paying attention dealing with multiple kids.   Kids do learn bad habits from others.  If your kids didn't go anywhere/stayed home with you all day.  It could be something else.  But they go to daycare. So!

Answer by louise2 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Pretty sure she is not trying to be annoying, that's not really her personality- to purposely bother someone. Possible she may feel I am not listening, but often when she talks to me I am face level or at least looking at her if I am otherwise busy. No feathers yet.
    manup1111

Comment by manup1111 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Does someone in the family repeat like that?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2013