West Texas chemical plant exploded

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/17/17800341-5-to-15-killed-160-wounded-in-devastating-texas-chemical-plant-blast?lite

It looks bad.  If you live in the area please check in and tell us you are OK.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 12:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It's bad. I'm not too far from there. Everyone is rushing to donate blood. People are loading up trucks and trailers with water and food to take over there.

Ive cried all morning. So much tragedy these days. My heart hurts.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• It was not a bomb. The plant caught on fire and the ammonia is highly flammable. It appears at this time it was an accident.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 1:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• they suspect up to 15 are dead and over 170 injured, 5 of the missing/dead are firefighters.
    I hope everyone is safe and they death tool doesn't keep rising. My heart goes out to all those affected.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Good to know our CM TX moms are all OK. It's so sad that such a terrible tragedy has happened again. My sympathy & prayers go out to all those effected by this terrible event. I pray the numbers won't go any higher.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I was watching the coverage of that at the gym this morning. The law enforcement that were giving the press conference were being very careful with the information that they were giving, particularly with regards to the number of fatalities and injuries. So sad for that community and hoping that they don't find any more people dead. I live in the DFW area and I am sure the will be many charitable drives to help provide for those that were displaced.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• 10 times worse than the OKC bombing? I hope you were just talking about the actual blast and not comparing the two tragedies as a whole. There is a big difference. ~~Anon

Yes, the BLAST was 10 times worse than the blast from OKC bombing. Everything else is apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• The shock wave from the explosion was felt 40 miles away. It registered as a 2.1 earthquake on the Richter scale. I think the radio this morning said it was 10 times worse that the Oklahoma City bombing. It flattened the elderly home, and the middle school nearby.

All these sick fucks need to crawl back under their rocks and leave us alone. There has been enough tragedy lately.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Heard about it on my local news. It is south of me.

Answer by louise2 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• 10 times worse than the OKC bombing? I hope you were just talking about the actual blast and not comparing the two tragedies as a whole. There is a big difference.
    Anonymous

• The news said fertilizer plants are some of the most dangerous workplaces around. There's so much potential for an explosion from even a small spark.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2013