What to o with my daughters teacher?

She is in the second grade and as the days go on its getting worse. She had straight A's and B's last year this year she :) as had straight D's and F's all year. My daughter keeps telling me the teacher is throwing out her homework so I asked the teacher 3 6 different times. 3 of the times she said she didn't then the other 3 times the first one was she said the students had to clean their desks she said she had them throw away all papers in the desk she said it could been that day's homework she didn't know but they were starting fresh on Monday. Another time was when we moved to another location for a few weeks (my 20 month old tested high for lead so we had work done) the teacher said she did have my dd throw her homework away since we were moving we didn't need extra work and she said she wouldn't get marked 0 for it. The other time was when we were moving back home she had her throw her homework away. Other than that she says she isn't throwing her homework away. They are wanting to retain her now as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Did you ever think that you DD is simply not turning in her homework?
    There have been a lot of changes in her life this year and kids react in different ways.
    I had a good 6 months of DGD doing the homework and simply not turning it in the next day. It was very frustrating but you can't just blame the teacher for everything.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• the teacher threw it away because your child failed to either take it home or turn it in.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• If your daughter is retained, make sure she gets a different teacher next year. Consider tutoring or summer school to help her catch up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Can your child get the missed homework and turn it in late?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• If your DD homework isn't received asked that the teacher send you home a note that day. Have you seen your DD doing the homework that is missing?

In second grade it's very hard to fail because of missing homework, is there more going on? Is she failing tests, and in class assignments?
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• The problem here is a major lack of communication. Your Daughter says one thing & you are not understanding what the Teacher is saying. The Teacher is telling you not to do workbooks because apparently your Daughter is not absorbing her school work so there is no way she will absorb the work in workbooks at home unless it EXACTLY reflects what the classwork was for that day. You need to be more proactive. I would request a daily communication from her Teacher regarding her behavior & abilities to complete work during the day. Like a daily progress report. You could get a spiral book, send it in her backpack weach day & you & the Teacher can communicate daily happenings in it. You need to get your information from the Teacher not your Daughter so you are on the same page & you can tutor her at home by repeating daily work as practice. Set up a face to face meeting with the Teacher & LISTEN to what she tells you.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• switch her to another teacher
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I know 3 of the times the teacher did tell me she threw it away
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• No....the teacher told me she had her throw it away cause she New we were moving for a few weeks and didn't want more on us. For a while my dd wasn't bringing anything home when we moved so when I asked the teacher she said she was with holding it to go over with her in class but my dd said she hasn't done any homework one on one with her. Plus I asked about her throwing it way if she wasn't turning it in why didn't the teacher tell me that? Most days she brings at least 5 pages or more one time she had 13 pages
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I don't know the teacher doesn't tell me anything. I bough workbooks to do with her which my dd loves doing and she told the teacher the teacher told me not to do those with her cause it will confuse her of how she does things in class. What teacher tells you that?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2013