Could extreme vertigo be related to diabetes?

My boyfriend's ex has been suffering from extreme vertigo. She's been off work for a few weeks, taking prescription medication and also putting baby oil in her ears on the advice of her doctor. When we stopped by her house to get some tax papers last week, she could barely walk without holding onto walls.

I'm curious, can vertigo be related to long term, insulin-dependent diabetes that hasn't been well controlled? She's already had a mild stroke and neuropathy in her feet, and she underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from her leg last winter. I'm worried about her, and I was jjust wondering.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2013 in Health

• i had vertigo with the pregnancy- turns put it was (probably) a viral inner ear infection. all i did was start taking antihistamines. a zyrtec daily and it cleared right up.

perhaps she could try something like that?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Not really. Blood sugar levels can cause dizziness but not a sustained episode like she's expirencing. She needs to see a neurologist, most likly her inner ear is involved.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• She needs a full body scan including the brain. That would be the first step. She should already be getting them yearly after the Cancer she already had.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• It could be a sinus infection, ear infection, or even just plain vertigo with no known etiology. It could really be anything, but she definitely needs to see a Dr. about it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I'll start by getting my boyfriend to recommend that she should try a Zyrtec every day. I'd like to see her go to the doctor, but getting her to do that is beyond impossible. She seems to take the attitude that if you ignore your problems long enough, they'll go away.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2013