Im not sure what to do with my dd.

She is turning 5 in June, and since she was 3 she has had obsession issues. As she gets older it seems to be getting worse. I'll give a few ex. Once she choked she would not eat for a day until I convinced her if she didn't eat I would take her to the dr, even at that for a few weeks she wouldn't eat anything hard or anything that she felt would make her choke. She finally got over it then came another. My dds friend had lice so I had to check hair. Well then she thought bugs were on and in her for a few weeks. I would get are there bug in my eyes, nose, teeth, hair, ear. I would have to check and look to calm her down. It would help for a few hours then we'd do it all over. She's had a few things that only last a few days but usually it takes a few week. Her new one which has her having melt downs is eating with hand. Chips, cookies, sandwiches, she needs to use a fork because it's contaminated my words not hers but that's how she feels. She's afraid to drink open drinks because. Shell get sick and maybe die. Today she's cried twice over eating. I was proud because I went and bout soap that had beads in them I told her the beads were super strong and killed germs and after three weeks she finally ate with her hands, but wouldn't eat the piece that her hands touched :( so now she's been washing her hands with the special soap everytime she thinks her hands are dirty :( she's telling my sister how the soap kills germs right now. Idk I feel so sad for her.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 1:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it comes with the age. My DS is crazy about anything being on his hands or clothes. If anything is on his hands he freaks out until it is washed off. If he spills very little on his pants or shirt he has to have a whole new outfit.
    I think one of my favorite stories which is sad and funny is when he woke up crying one morning and came int my room freaking out about something on his hands, he said he threw up and put his hand in it. Well I took him to go get cleaned up and when I turned on the light he's whole face was covered in throw up but he was only freaking out about the stuff on his hands and PJs
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• She may have an early stage of Generalized Anxiety Disorder or OCD. Poor baby.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Have you taken her to a child psychologist?
    The choking is understandable.
    When DD was in 3rd grade they had a PE teacher that was obsessed with fats and it was months before I got the school to curb her teaching and months before I got DD calmed down. I am fine with nutrition education and everything but this teacher was grooming these kids for anorexia IMO. It was that excessive.
    It is possible you have one of those in your school or that she is highly suggestible and has some other issues.
    GL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• No she has her yearly check up in two weeks I was going to talk to her dr. about it. She asked me for apple juice and asked if worms were in the juice. I had to think why would you ask me that but then she said apple juice is mad from apples and worms are in apples. I had to have her look in the juice container and tell her you would see worms right? She said yeah I don't see any so she drank it. I feel like she goes over board with her fears. I've never seen a kid like this. @ dard she's not in school yet in my city preschool is not required. She's home with me and I'm so not like that or anyone else in the house.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I think it is a good thing that you are going to see her pediatrician.
    I haven't watched kiddy shows in a good long while. Does she watch seseme street or similar shows? Do you watch them too.? I am just trying to help with a trigger. I am so sorry for your little one.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I am no expert but in my experience, it is either caused by something environmental or genetic. Environmental meaning her daily life. Is it calm & free from drama or disruption? Second is genetic. Are you a bit of a nervous nelly or any of your family members or your husbands family members? It may just be her little personality that she will eventually outgrow once she finds interests in other areas of her life. If it is environmental then she may feel insecure & you can remedy this by being supportive to her concerns & anticipate any issues & say "don't worry there are no worms in this juice! Mommy would never let you eat a worm. That's what I am here for to protect you!" Before she asks if there are worms. Then give her a hug & kiss. Make her family life as consistent & calm as possible. Make sure she gets plenty of sleep & watch for the dyes in many foods. Dyes made my Son very anxious & malcontented!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• She likes word world, Martha speaks, princess movies, nick jr. the hub network. My big big friend. I'm not paying to much attention to her t.v. Shows I kind of block out the sound lol
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• She does like Halloween theamed shows to. Like with vampires, zombies, witches. Even scooby doo ish. And @ I lovepaulie my dada is the words biggest hypochondriac. I was diagnosed with mild OCD when I was under but I do t struggle with it anymore. I had to check things over and over but I havnt don't that for over 7 years now. I had rituals and things had to be done in a certain way. Is that something genetic? I wasn't a germaphob ever. I mean I do still like things done a certain way but I don't freak out if it's not anymore.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• watch for the dyes in many foods

How do you know what dyes are in food?
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• ^^^There you go! My Sister is a nervous nelly & I see some of her traits in my Son too! He has grown out of a lot of his worries since now he is into his own things that occupy his mind. He's 6 & I rarely see anymore "nellies". He can be a germaphobe though but that's my fault! I carry wipes everywhere! LOL! She'll be fine & once she has more interests, her nervousness will fade. What else can you do? That's her personality!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2013