To Harsh?

Last night my DS wouldn't eat. I made golden rod eggs. All he ate was the sausage and wouldn't even touch the eggs. After everyone was done he still wasn't so I warned him if he didn't eat anything by the time I was done cleaning up dinner dishes I am throwing away the food. So he had 40 minutes to eat. He didn't touch a bite the entire time I cleaned so I picked it up and threw it away. That's when he freaked and stated crying. I refused to make him anything else. He LOVES eggs so I didn't understand why he wouldn't touch it.
Also lately he won't eat unless I feed him, and now I have stopped that too so he hasn't been eating very much. I am not at all concerned about him getting food because it's only dinner time he ask us to feed him. Plus he is the size of a 5 yr old and he's only 3 so growth isn't a concern either.
Am I doing the right thing? It makes me feel horrible but I am told it's thr right thing to do and he will learn quickly.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I will save their food. If they become hungry that's what they can eat if not I don't feel bad. I did the first few times but then I realized if they were truly hungry they will eat it. By doing this they usually eat food without complaining. But I am a softy so I know my dd hates green beans so I try not to make them that often.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 2:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I had to resort to saving my daughter's dinner and letting her know if she was hungry she could eat that before bedtime or nothing till morning. It tore me up, but she adapted pretty quikly, and a lot of the pickiness at the dinner table went away. Sometimes kids use not eating as a way to test their control.

What are goldenrod eggs?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I think they all go through this and it is the right thing to do.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• At this age sometimes they just aren't hungry, other times they are so darned stubborn they just won't eat it. I'd save it in the fridge and if he's hungry later he can have it before bed- but problem with that is they know they can just eat later!

Rough and tumble mama. My 3 year old is a selective eater. Another thing to look at is if they are getting too many calories from snacks or beverages. If my daughter is told she can have a treat after her dinner, she will have every bite of her dinner in her mouth in the next minute. LOL
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I don't think it is too harsh. They will eat when they are hungry.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I love goldenrod eggs, but forgot how to make them, please share it!
    No, I don't think it is too harsh, I think that he wants you to baby him a bit. Now, if he wouldn't eat, and a couple of hours passed and he was crying etc, I might be inclined to feed him something!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I do that to my son too. BUT my daughter, I save her dinner b/c later she will want a snack and if she didn't eat supper, she gets that for snack.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2013