Am i selfish?

Ok. I'm a 21 y/o full time nursing student and mom. I have a 2 year old and I go to school full time (15+ credit hrs a semester) and my fiance works full time. He doesnt pay for my schooling just bills house expenses etc. He makes enough to support us but we dont have extra money to blow. Most of my classes are online so i take them from home and have to go to school from time to time for clinicals/tests etc. I have my daughter full time. My problem is i feel like im being selfish by not working and not wanting her to go to daycare. I have 6 more classes to take (a couple more semesters) and i'll graduate by the time she starts pre k . I've been contemplating finding a full time job working overnight but havent quite decided.. What's your opinion?

dimples2k13

Asked by dimples2k13 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

• & the reason for the night job is so he can take care of her at night while i work and i have her during the day.
    dimples2k13

Comment by dimples2k13 (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Is your fiance complaining about the arrangement? Are you struggling to make ends meet? Since you said you can pay your bills I see no reason to feel guilty for getting an education and spending time with your daughter at the same time. If you guys are doing ok then you can make it a couple more semesters before you have to worry about getting a job.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• No girl
    rock your schooling
    mental health is important too
    by what you were saing I was already blown away by what you do already
    study, stay fit, eat right, be good to your man, good mama, and rock it
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• If you can afford to not work while going to school full-time, do that. You're not being selfish at all. Your education will benefit your family in the long run.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• If you guys are fine, then don't worry about it. I will suggest one thing, though: if you want to get an overnight job, think hard about it. Having her during the day means you can't sleep during the day, and I think (from my own experience working overnight) that you'll find you want nothing more than to come home and go to bed - not necessarily immediately, but within a couple of hours.

As long as you guys are doing all right, though, I see nothing selfish about what you're doing at all.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• I don't think you're being selfish at all. Your education will allow you to get a good job in a few semesters, and a full course load is a lot to keep up with, even without a busy toddler in the house. Besides, these years with your little girl are precious, and you'll be missing them soon enough. One-on-one attention and lots of interaction now can only benefit her down the road. Keep up the good work, Mom.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• When will you sleep?

Answer by louise2 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Dont feel guilty. You're doing great.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• 2 semesters isn't that long. I personally would not because I would not want it to impact my schoolig and possible job opportunities, if I had the choice.
    I worked full time and did school full time with no child and it was a lot.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2013

• Why not a part time job in the evenings to help out a little but not overdo it? I went to school full time and worked 25-30 hours/week with 3 kids and still made straight As, it's not that hard.

Answer by missanc at 5:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2013