I might just need more coffee...is it the year 2013?... high school in rural Georgia holds its first ever racially integrated prom

GEORGIA – Just days before a high school in rural Georgia holds its first ever racially integrated prom, the group of teens who organized it say they are anticipating a decent turnout and are hopeful the night will be a resounding success.

The high school seniors from Wilcox County High School have spent the past months working day and night to ensure the integrated prom becomes a reality.

Up until now, the county put on segregated prom nights and homecoming dances: one for black students and one exclusively for whites.

Since the events are not funded through the high school, but instead are privately financed by local supporters, it is legal to have separate, segregated, prom events.

full story (too many characters to paste into here)

http://thegrio.com/2013/04/18/georgia-high-school-makes-final-preparations-for-1st-integrated-prom/#51491395

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 7:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• going crazy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• My first thought before reading it was maybe they just still live separately - we have areas around here that are like that - the schools are, of course, integrated, but the people choose to live in neighborhoods that keep them black/white rather than integrated.

But then I read what you posted. I guess it just goes to show why people still think it's okay to do this kind of crap.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I am stunned!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I saw this story last week. It still shocks me that that is even legal given its a public school.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Crazy. It was the students who pushed for it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Yep, one of my boyfriends in college, came from a small TN town that had separate proms. His school finally changed it a few years ago.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• good for those kids!! its getting harder & harder to teach hate in a world that is so super connected...even in rural small towns.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• How sad that its taken this long. I live in TN and interracial couples are so normal here. There are still small communities where there are hardly any black people but that is by choice, certainly not by force. I guess it takes time for change.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Jesus! You would have thought this story came from thirty or forty years ago.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2013