Follow up to "my child was almost ran over".

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1332749/My_child_was_almost_ran_over_at_school_today?cat_id=&result=question_closed&success=2&order=&next=

I finally started to feel better about the situation after I allowed myself to break down & cry.  After school, I took my girls to get ice cream and spoiled them a bit.  I had a good talk with my oldest, who still claimed to be alright but, I did not just drop her off this morning at school.  I parked and walked with her until the school enterance was visible.  I have a feeling that it will be that way for a while, maybe until the end of the school year.  

The school counselor is set to talk to my DD about what happened yesterday, today.  She did not do it yesterday because she was off campus (the irony is that she is normally a drop off helper and, was not there yesterday morning and, was not replaced by someone else either).  And, supposedly the Principle will be speaking with the inept woman and giving her a warning. 

3libras

Asked by 3libras at 9:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• MrsL
    The driver needs to be warned. Someone almost seriously injured or killing a child isn't something to look past. This should be a good time to address children's safety and take other actions so stuff like this doesn't happen again.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I think you should ask them to change the way children are dropped off as well one side of the street only, did the woman apologize? I am glad you feel better.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I read your earlier post, and I'm sorry it happened... But IMO, and please don't take this the wrong way, it's just how I would handle it... You should just move on from it. She's fine, nothing bad happened, and if you keep hanging on to the "what could have happened" your daughter isn't going to be able to move on from it. Our children feed off of us, and if you continue to keep the drama of it up, then that's how she's going to handle every other bad situation in her life.
    Let it go, be thankful, and of course be cautious, but be strong for her, that's what she needs most.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• You know your DD best and know what she needs. If you think she needs to have someone to talk to then you do what's right for her. Kids are not one size fits all and they all process things differently. What matters is that she is okay and that you are doing what you can to make sure she doesn't hold on to this and let it work into a phobia. My DS is a more sensitive child and processes words and events differently than my DD, so I understand that some kids needs are different than others.
    With the way school zones are, there is no reason for that woman to have started to move her vehicle until the crossing guard was back up on the sidewalk with her sign down. Perhaps some police observers will be stationed outside of the school to be a reminder that people need to slow down and focus on pedestrians and speed limits.
    I'm sorry this happened. I'm sure it scared the crap out of both of you.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Wow libras, I had no ideal this happened! I'm so glad she's okay!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Well, I don't think too highly of the mother who almost did it, I would have been all over myself saying OMG, I am so sorry and very worried about your kid. I have devleoped a strong dislike for this woman, LOL!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• ((((((HUGS)))))))
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I am glad actions will be taken against the bitch that did that. I am also glad your DD seems to be doing fine and some is going to talk to her about it besides mommy. She might reveal more to the counselor then she will to mommy.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Ignore anon. Did she apologize to you? I don't know if I missed that part?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Ms leftlane, I understand your point of view, I'm not pushing this on to my child, I simply know my child. She is very sensitive under a tough shell. She's extremely intelligent and has a mind that's constantly going. As a result, she has always had sleep issues and is already prone to nightmares. I know that if it's not addressed and worked through with her now, it will become worse.
    3libras

Comment by 3libras (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Apr. 19, 2013