Am I not an Atheist?

I wrote this reply to a post debating whether the world would be less violent without organized religion. I have to say, I zoned off when writing it and it came directly from my heart. Re-reading it made me wonder if that besides being an Atheist- or even instead of, I'm something else... does what I wrote sound like any particular philosophy out there?

Everything in nature has to have balance.

There is no good/evil part of human nature- it's all balanced at birth and it's only through life experiences and personal choices that the balance is thrown out of whack. Everything in moderation. If one is too loving, it can cause negativity. If one is not loving enough, it can cause negativity but that doesn't mean love is evil. All of those natural characteristics are there for a reason and it's up to the individual to keep them in check.

When one is indoctrinated into a religious beliefs that teaches humans are born flawed, it causes everything to be off balance. They fear parts of their human nature that they are told are 'evil' and are pushed to deny them at all costs while being told to increase the parts that have been determined to be 'good'. Since one side outweighing the other will cause unbalance, they then have feelings of guilt, depression and self loathing that leads to further negativity. It's not until a person accepts their positive and negative aspects of their human nature and seeks to make them harmonious do they feel actual real joy, happiness and fulfillment. Get rid of the ancient, man-made mythology and embrace yourself and your fellow man and only then will we begin the journey to peace.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is very Buddhist. And yes, you can easily be both Atheist and Buddhist :)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• A little Buddhist to me. Look this over and see how you feel

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I would say it probably leans toward Buddhist

and that's true for me as well- I don't believe in God(s) -but Buddhism is something that I sort of feel drawn to/ or have ideas that kind of mesh with.

*also, I really like what you wrote :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• "I think Hinduism has belief in gods though and I don't."

From what I understand, Hinduism can be very diverse, though - even atheistic. But whether you lean more Buddhist or Hindu is up for you to decide - or if you discover a different affiliation. Good luck :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• You might also want to look into pantheism and taoism
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Hindu or Buddhist.

Anonymous

• I think Hinduism has belief in gods though and I don't.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Thanks cassie! I can agree with most of the things on that link but not all of them. I'm part Buddhist. lol.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Thank you Prissy. Looking over the items in that link, it kind of felt nice to see that what I believe did fall in line with something. People have told me that I can't be an Atheist and think that way but I see that's not true...
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Someone else has said one time that my thinking was on line with pantheism but I never really looking into it. Thanks for reminding me NP...
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2013