Computer people! Have you typed in your name in Google to see what comes up?

So, when I do this, I see my information that people can pay to get the full scoop on me (address, phone I guess). Does this come from my signing up to FB? How can I make it go away or can I?

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 5:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2013 in Technology

• How to remove info and no I have not checked. http://www.ehow.com/how_6457090_remove-information-public-data-sources.html
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• it happens from anything you do online, social media etc.
    plus the more extensive searches are from anything under your name like electric bills to DMV info
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I know my full name. But do you? I don't think you do.

Answer by louise2 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• They get it from publicly available records, in some cases: if you own your home, the deed would give them your address. Your phone number is listed if you don't have it unlisted. In other cases, it comes from places like your driver's license, anything you've signed up for and given that info, and some of it comes from situations where your info is combined with someone else's. Like when you live with someone else and they provide info that connects your name - say your husband or mom listing you as an emergency contact somewhere.

Frankly, it drives me nuts that for $50 someone who knows my name can buy access to a lot of info about me. I wish they wouldn't allow it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Yeah--I have a pretty boring life, I guess. I didn't find anything worth writing home about.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• It depends on which site you're seeing it on. Can you list the sites? I can give more specific answers then. If you have your personal info listed on a FB profile that is set to public, then yes, it could be one source of info. However, many sites you sign up for sell and rent your info. Thus, you should carefully read the Privacy Policies on each site and do a Control +F search for the words "sell," "rent," "share," and "disclose." Even legitimate sites can be in the business of selling or sharing your personal info. This also happens legally when they share with their affiliate companies or when the business is sold or merged with another. So, for example, you sign up for free coupons at Coupons.com whose affiliate company is Mylife.com. Or, Coupons.com is sold to Spokeo.com. You can generally request removal of your info via the privacy policy links or instructions within them. However, some companies ignore such requests
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• If you have a landline telephone and didn't request removal of your info from a phone directory, most companies get your info from that or whitepages.com. Any time you register for an account, sign up for contests, your info has a chance to be shared.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• If you have a landline telephone and didn't request removal of your info from a phone directory

did you know that asking for an unlisted number costs money but!
    if your name is mary smith and ask to be listed as jane doe it's free?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I googled my name and found a lot of me. But no me.

Answer by louise2 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Well I just googled my name with my maiden name instead since it would be easier for someone to locate me with that name. There's 9 of me in the US according to whitepages.com. My last name now is much more common, my maiden name not so much.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2013