All right Google Queens...(Long!)

SO fell off of a roof several years ago sustaining a Traumatic Brain Injury.

As a result he is in constant pain...or at least that's what we thought.
He went to a chiropractor the other day to see if an adjustment would offer some relief. The guy took x-rays. Turns out SO has three broken verterbrae that are apr. 3 years old! Guess how long ago it was that he fell off of the roof.

The initial medical report does not diagnosis a TBI. Even though the x-rays show dead gray matter. There is no notation of the broken neck. The medical notes say the brain bleed was 14 mm and then 7mm. At 14 they should have (by industry standards) drilled to relieve pressure. (if you want more info just ask- i am trying to keep this brief "ish")

He went to go see the "TBI Specialist" who treated him in the hospital for follow up care and asked, "Will I get better"? The doc said, "I don't know".

Like the brain was going to grow back!? If you lose an arm and ask if it's going to grow back the answer is a resounding no. Dead and gone is dead and gone. We aren't starfish FFS.

So obviously we are in contact with an atty

Here's the Google Queen portion of the question:

Can someone please direct me to an up to date site (easy to read) noting the Nevada laws regarding the cap on medical malpractice.

- I am putting this in health because money and work sounds morbid

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 7:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2013 in Health

• I checked Google and I think you're right....sort of. The two sites I looked at said that three years is the outer limit but I'm trying to figure out why they put that in there when, the rest of the time, it's a one year SoL. What has to happen to allow the three year to kick in?

"Like the brain was going to grow back!? If you lose an arm and ask if it's going to grow back the answer is a resounding no. Dead and gone is dead and gone."

I need to play devil's advocate and comment on this part. The doctor answered you honestly because we've seen cases of brain injury where, after a period of time and lots of OT, some times another portion of the brain will sometimes limit the damage that has taken place. It's not much, and it's not often, but it occurs. It's not that the dead matter reanimates but, rather, a healthy part of the brain sort of....recircuits. If that makes any sense
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• No you aren't and I get what you're saying. And I also understand that now time is of the essence. One good thing is that the sites I looked at say that the statue of limitations STARTS when the mistake is discovered. That may be something your lawyer will want to investigate.

I'd also suggest having an MRI or x-ray done by a hospital that isn't affiliated with anyone that originally saw your SO. You'll want something from a provider other than a chiropractor, for comparison
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I don't have any pertinent advice, but it's a damn shame what the specialist did, or rather failed to do. I hope you can sue his ass off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Well, having a parent who suffered a brain injury I feel your pain, I would find a very good malpractice Attorney in Nevada, and start there, there is a medical board that governs doctors, in most cases the statute of limitations is 7 years, but that is IF you can pin it on one paticular doctor. I think you need a good lawyer and quick.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Absolutely. I agree with you completely. Inappropriate and/or incomplete documentation is an issue that definitely should be examined here. It could have made a major difference in your SO's life
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• You need to call someone now! It depends on how good of lawyer you have, google Adrienne Maloof, or The Palms malpractice lawyers, I think they would know exactly what to do! Malpractice lawyers represent and defended them in several cases.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• We have an atty you goose. i put that in red, lol.
    I am trying to self educate about the cap.
    We may just be getting in under the limitations. It seems to be 3 years.

feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• Thanks Prissy. The atty said we were going to be able to get this looked (statute of limitations) at but not much else. They said the malpractice cap $350,00 but that looks like it went on ballot to be overturned.

While we have understood that other parts of the brain may re-circuit the doc made it sound as if he could make a full recovery with no residual affects. Again, this is the specialist who didn't even diagnose the injury.

Back to the lost arm example: If you are missing an arm, shouldn't some documentation say, "Amputated arm"?
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• I am probably rambling. I have had a lot to process the past few days...I am on a bit of overload
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• the statue of limitations STARTS when the mistake is discovered
    oh!
    that's good. we understood from the atty from the time of the accident.
    we're going back to nevada in a few weeks. it was going to be a vacation...looks like it's going to be more of me pushing for atty visits.
    we've been lackadaisically dealing with this for several years but finding out about the broken neck has lit a fire under his ass.
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2013