How can I stop my child's sudden stuttering?

My 9 yr son suddenly started stuttering a few months ago, he didn't have this problem when he was younger so idk how to handle or stop it. He is getting therapy at school but that doesn't seem to be helping at all. Also other kids have began to tease him almost daily about this and I feel so helpless. Any suggestions please!

CammyJ1

Asked by CammyJ1 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Is he on medications? Did he just change add or go off any of them? You may need to send him for a speech evaluation to a private person, he might need more work. In the meantime, be very considerate and patient with him, don't fill in the word for him if he can't get it out. He may be anxious and that makes it worse.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Please look at this site: www.stutteringhomepage.com/ It is Minnestoa State University's site, and it has massive amounts of info on stuttering, plus support organizations. Good luck!! I think most important is to find the right info so you don't make matters worse by making him nervous--just find out how best to help him and forge on with confidence!
    WiseOlderMom

Answer by WiseOlderMom at 8:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I had a stutter suddenly like that when I was like 10 and it only lasted a few months. For me, I deduced it was due to improper sleeping habits, stress and emotional blocking of the stress. I remember wanting to answer some questions that a teacher asked and ready to answer but the teacher just kept going on and on, so I had to hold the answer in. Then, when she was FINALLY finished, I rushed to get it all out so I wouldn't forget what I wanted to say. It can also happen if someone interrupts the child frequently. Teach the child to slow down and pace breathing during sentence parts, such as after every 3-4 words. Encouraging singing is also a great way to help with breath pacing. When he's stressed, his throat tightens up and his breathing will be off. Being around other people who stutter can make it "contagious," too. My brother had it the worst and whenever he was around, it would show up in me again.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• There's something else missing from this story. Get him professional counseling not speech therapy. Something is being missed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Has he mentioned hitting his head really hard or anything like that? You may wanna try like Kristi11384 said along with making an apt with you DS doctor. Most kids begin to stutter in their younger years I thought.
    lacyd75

Answer by lacyd75 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• @KristiS11384 He is autistic, but high functioning so he speaks and has always had speech therapy so this is new. He has not hit his head or had any kind of trauma, I asked and his peds doc asked and examined him as well. It literally just started one day. The doc and therapist both said it is rare to see this in older kids but sometimes it just happens with no known reason and may or may not go away. Well that answer isn't good enough for me so if there is anything that has even the slightest chance of working I'm willing to try it. Thanx guys.
    CammyJ1

Comment by CammyJ1 (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2013