Family member is stealing my prescriptions

This is the 3rd time I have had my prescription stolen. 1st time it was vicodin that I got when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I shouldn't have left it in the bathroom behind the mirror. But at my husband's birthday party someone tried to steal it. But they got caught. 2nd time I was smart & I locked my percocet in my lock box under my bed after my c-section with my first baby! I was staying with my mother-in-law while my hubby was deployed. I went to walmart & when I came home they were in my room. They said they were chasing the dog out. Lie cuz the dog doesn't come in the house. I checked the bottle & it was empty. How'd they find the key?? Now I went home for Christmas & they were trying to swipe my new full prescription of adderall. Enough is enough. I don't want to be the supplier to this family member/junkie. I feel if I report them though it will cause fights in the family. And since its my in-laws I hate to do that. I don't want to cause problems but my dh acts like its no big deal. If I call the law on his family I don't know how he'll react. But these prescriptions are all controlled substances. This family member needs help. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2013 in Relationships

• Talk to your pharmacist, because there's a new pillbox out now for sensitive prescriptions. You have to open the box with a code that only you know. It's made for stuations just like yours.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I had two kids, multiple surgeries, wisdom teeth pulled & turned down all the prescription painkillers that Dr.'s these days are all too happy to prescribe. If I were you, I would just take Advil or Tylenol next time you have a pain. You know that these pain killers you are taking are derived from heroin. You may have a slight addiction if you have a real need for these, Have you tried to deal with the pain with OTC meds? You should try next time. If you don't have the meds then no one can take them. Obviously this person taking them has an addiction & calling the Police will not help. Try to get them into a rehab. They are your family too right?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Here's a thought... quit getting those types of pain meds. I had two c-sections and never received anything to take home with me. I also had my wisdom teeth pulled on Friday... I went back to work on Monday. I had pain meds for one day. I think they write too many damn prescriptions needlessly for that crap. Stop accepting them.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Maybe your DH is acting as if this were unimportant because he's the one who gave them your key...

I agree with RyansMom. Tell them that if you even so much as suspect that they have been stealing your meds that you will go straight to the police. Make them think that you have proof of their other thefts too. That should put them off.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Only know what you say but why do you keep the meds after you do not need them anymore and why do you keep getting put on the meds?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• If you refuse to call the authorities and report the theft, your only choices are to carry the prescriptions with you at all times (and that means in a purse locked in the bathroom while you shower or in the kitchen), or find another place to live. Your DH is enabling their behavior by ignoring the problem. It doesn't sound like a terribly stable environment to raise a child in.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I would tell them if it happens again you will report them, than it's on them they've been warned.  

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I agree with the ladies, and also get yourself a medicine cabinet with a lock and key!

Answer by older at 8:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Did you say previously that your MIL had stolen some of your child's toys?
    QuinnMae

• I would stop visiting them while taking & needing to bring such medications.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:33 AM on Apr. 20, 2013