Got relocated to MCBH & now my 5yr old with ADHD having trouble making friends

My sweet little man will be starting Kindergarten this fall. He has trouble making friends & it breaks my heart to see my baby like that. His ADHD is a factor but so is the fact that we are military stationed at MCBH & we move a lot. He had one friend when we first moved here but he left 4 months after we arrived. He makes a friend or two than they move. But his ADHD is always a factor. We've tried teaching him good social skills but its hard for him to grasp. He is such a sweet boy but he is so hyper & lacks focus. I can tell it annoys the other kids. He is fixin to start Kindergarten & I am just a nervous wreck worrying about him being sad & alone. And kids being mean to him for something he can't help! Any advice??? Plz! All comments are appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Apr. 20, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk to the teacher as soon as possible. If you can do it before school starts, do, but if not talk to her that first week of school. She will be able to help him to watch the group as a whole, and help him to connect with kids that will be more open to a friendship with him. Also, she will be able to connect you with the school counselor who may be able to help with his social skills, and making friendships. Resources are available at school.

Get involved in the classroom if you can. At that age the kids like when moms are in the classroom, and you will be able to see what your son is doing, how other kids react, and may be able to help him make connections. Make friends with the other moms. Kindergarten is a time when you can still help him with this, and he won't get teased about it. Take advantage of that.

Good luck mama, he'll be fine with a loving and concerned mom like you!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Are you sure it's ADHD? Both of my boys have it (pretty severely) and they've never had trouble making friends. What do you do to try to control his symptoms?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:21 AM on Apr. 20, 2013