E tens machine.

i recieved an e-tens machine in the mail , it's electrodes that help with muscular and nerve issues in the back...anyone ever use one? does the electricity hurt?

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in Health

• You don't simply get nerve damage in your back from being busty. I have a very clear understanding of nerve pain vs muscle pain & how to treat both. It may be that you were not doing your "homework" (AKA: home maintenance program) from PT. If you are busty then maintaining back/AD (core) strength will be a life long endeavor for you. If not you WILL have pain. Also, if you've seen an Ortho for this you may be seeing the wrong doc. If it's nerve related & your back you should be seeing a neurologist that specializes in back pain.

Anyone can get a shitty TENS off the internet. But IF YOUR doc sent it he has a obligation to show you how to use it. Oh well if he doesn't... his licence, his rep, not my issue. I was only giving you my professional opinion as someone who has worked with e-stim & TENS, and is licensed to do so. I have never worked with a doc that ordered e-stim and didn't have a pro. show the patient how to use it.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• This sounds so odd to me. Typically, surgery is the last resort, not the first. I would think that determining how the nerve damage occurred would be their primary focus, along with determining what nerve lines are affected.

I had significant trouble with my sciatic nerve for several years. It wasn't until I went to a neuro who sent me to PT to learn core strength techniques that I started to get some relief. Yoga and acupuncture keep me pain free, typically.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• e-stim.... works awesome!! TENS is widely used by PT & ATC's... works on the gate control theory to assist in pain management. I used it often in my practice as an ATC.

Your PT or ATC should instruct you on usage and proper placement of the electrodes for your specific diagnosis!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• mine was sent to me by my primary, i never was given the option when in PT...

If a doc prescribed it then you need to take it in and have them show you how to use it. That's like giving you meds w/o directions. It's pretty irresponsible for your doc to treat the pain and not the cause!! You should be going to PT to treat the muscle imbalance that is contributing to the problem. Insist on a referral!!!! I treated that all the time in the clinic with great results... no TENS needed.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• My DH uses his everyday. He wares it to work mostly. It doesn't hurt him but he can control the intensity.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I have to agree with crafty here. Someone should be setting you up on the unit and showing you proper use and care. For our patients, we have the rep from the company we ordered the unit from meet with the patient to go over instructions and show them how to use it.

As for PT, some therapists are great and some suck. Sometimes you have to hunt around for a good therapist who will meet your needs. You might want to give therapy another try somewhere else with a better therapist.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Also, did your therapist do trigger point dry needling? Idk what your specific problems are, but TDN can be helpful depending on the issue.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Are you overweight by chance? Have they had you doing anything to strengthen those muscles?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• What type of doctors are you seeing?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Well, if you have nerve damage have you seen a neurologist?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2013