I've always wondered why the Bible discourages contact with demons, evil spirits, witchcraft, voodoo etc

Dabbling in the dark side is no different from worshiping the "light"_ the dark side is just the other side of the same coin. Humans are very powerful but the "light" prevents masses of sheeple from actually discovering who they really are and harnessing their power. That power is in all of us.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Some people rather stay in the light.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Who's to say witchcraft is "the dark side"?? I don't find it dark at all.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

•  

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Witchcraft is dark? Huh, ya learn somethin' new everyday.

And you know, it's not just the Bible that frowns upon dabbling in dark arts. I think many religions and philosophies advise followers to stay away from the darker or evil side of things... for various reasons.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Evil spirits and demons all have the bad side of all of us, but the light has only the good side, and witchcraft and voodoo has nothing evil about it, it is just another way to worship...

Answer by older at 2:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I'm not convinced that witchcraft or voodoo are necessarily dark, but contact with anything evil, such as evil spirits, can't be healthy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• "but the "light" prevents masses of sheeple from actually discovering who they really are and harnessing their power. That power is in all of us."

You kind of answered your own question there. And, while I would not say the things you listed are necessarily "dark", they are about harnessing your own personal power or that of natures' (ie not being dependent on "God"). Mainstream religions are about controlling the masses. You can't do that without instilling fear into them.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• God is afraid of the competition.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I think it's bullshit that the idea of following darkness harnesses power. Frankly, that's just not true. You can be incredibly powerful on the light side. It's like saying the Jewish are more powerful than the Catholics. Ridiculous as one is no better than the other. Sorry but I don't agree.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Seems that any belief that teaches the power comes from within/nature is considered evil. If humans know they are powerful all on their own and that a god (s) is not necessary, it's harder to control them.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2013