My husb is filing a police report as we speak! >:(

We got paid Friday. So I paid some bills, as usual. Today, while I was at the grocery store, hubby received a call from the credit card co. that services our debit card thru the credit union. Apparently, someone was able to create a copy of my husb's card & ran up charges of over $1,200, at about 4 different locations! I want to go to these stores & look at the tapes myself! I am so livid! How the hell does this happen? The only time it's swiped by someone else, they swipe it right in front of you & give it back. Then there's the pay at the pump, where you swipe it yourself. We better be able to get our money back! That's a lot of money & bills have been sent out already. Plus I want whoever did this on a platter! Let me save the courts some time & inflict my own brand of punishment! Ugh!

Has this ever happened to you & how did it turn out? Did you get your money back?!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in Money & Work

• This happened to me a couple of years ago. Someone copied down or took a pic of my debit card and charged over 1200.00 worth of merchandise at a Witchcraft store in Salem, Mass.
    The bank contacted me immediately because I RARELY order anything on-line and they used the wrong expiration date. Red flag!
    The bank canceled my account and opened a new one and covered the 1200.00 loss.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• it happened to me but on a much smaller scale, my bank called me and told me there was a fraud alert and that someone in TX (I was in NV) had been using my debit card number at 2 different locations, but in a small amount like $5 just to see if t worked. Thankfully it was caught before anything actually came out though. But the alert came because my number was used in 2 diff states in a short period of time.
    Was your card used locally?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• We had someone steal our mail that contained checks being sent to pay bills. Some how they cleaned the checks and reused them for other stuff. I didn't notice until the bank statements came in and, saw that the amount was different then I recorded them to be. The bank refunded us those amounts. But, I ended up having to pay overages for the bills that weren't paid, due to the stolen mail.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• At gas stations and ATMs, thieves can install what appears to be a legitimate "card swiper" but it's not, or they can place a device over the swiper so that they get your credit card info. It's called skimming. Shady cashiers can also easily get your info.  I never leave my credit card at a bar for a tab either for that reason.  Legitimate transactions through online companies also has potential to get into the hands of shady employees who work there. Be sure to put a freeze on your accounts with the 3 credit agencies Experian, Transunion, Equifax and file Identity Theft report with the FTC. The FTC report doesn't automatically freeze your accounts though.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Last year someone charged 6K in three minutes. We weren't responsible but it was the second CC fraud in a year for us. Horrible feeling. These thieves are very good nowadays. Don't bother going to the store to see video tape, no one can do a thing about it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Shit, I am so sorry this happened to you. I really hope you are able to get the money back and whoever did it gets caught.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• And no, it hasn't happened to me. I dealt with some similar stuff a few times when I worked at a bank, but that was before identity theft and electronic crimes were so easy.
    JulieJacobKyle

• That's awful! It happened to me once, years ago, when I used my credit card to pay for a snowmobile rental at a ski resort. (No, I wasn't driving, I rode on the back while my cousin drove.) Someone got my credit card number and used my account to buy $140 worth of flowers--I always hoped the scumball wasn't buying a bouquet for his or her mother. Thenthere were over a thousand dollars of charges at a computer store, which didnt go through because there wasn't that muc money on the card. The company cleared me of all responsibility for the charges and re-issued me another card, which usually happens if you call right away. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Yes,my aol acct was hacked and someone got a hold of my pay pal account and made charges that I did not authorize, but I caught it right away and called the bank and pay pal and reported as a fraudulent charge, and my $ was replaced right away. You got to be on top of all your accts and see activity so you can catch this early.....

Answer by older at 5:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• It was probably a skimming device at one of those pay-at-the-pump places. It's small, and looks identical to the actual interface for the machine. However, it copies all your credit/debit card information, AND your PIN. Then the thief can copy it all to a blank card and off she/he goes.

This is on The Problem Solvers, a segment of our local news, a LOT. You SHOULD be able to get your money back.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2013