What should I look for when selecting a chiropractor?

My rheumatologist suggested that I might have some luck dealing with chronic pain by going to a chiropractor because I don't like to take a lot of painkillers. I don't know much at all about chiropractors. What kinds of questions should I ask on the phone if I want to find a good one? What should I look for at an appointment? How oftn do people usually go? I can't have massages anymore because they seem to set off my fibromyalgia. A chiropractic adjustment is different from a massage, I'm assuming? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I really do want to learn.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in Health

• Maintaining mental positivity is a also key to reducing the inflammation response because it reduces the release of the "stress" hormone cortisol. Cortisol levels are usually highest in the morning when you also tend to be more stiff, swollen. See the connection? Read more about cortisol from this About.com page:

Link here: http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I would google them and look on Yelp to see what people had to say about them!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• You REALLY want a DC (Doctor of Chiropractic) not a C.C.W.P. (Certified Chiropractic Wellness Lifestyle Practitioner) or another letter combo!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I would look online for reviews. Chiropractors are weird because there are some really fantastic ones and some really crappy ones out there. You don't want one that suggests you go three times a week or something stupid like that, and I've run into those. I wouldn't go to one that uses an adjustment tool that clicks next to your spine, because they are useless, IMO. I always like hearing about other people's experiences when I'm looking for a doctor, especially a chiropractor. I found a great one by asking around at my karate school. One of the other moms told me how wonderful her chiropractor is, and I went to him. He's amazing.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Check the patient reviews on Yelp.com, RateMDs.com and ZocDoc.com since quality is really more of a personal definition of what you might value more in a doctor and customer service varies. I would suggest that they have at least 10 years experience though. Some also do acupuncture or Chinese herbal medicine. I knew a coworker once that swore that Chinese herbal medicine helped keep her from having worse arthritis. My mom has severe rheumatoid arthritis and tried it before but reported no significant benefits, though she did it for a few years and had harder access to specialists back then. I personally think herbal medicine, keeping your environment warm and eating specific foods for extra antioxidants and reduction of inflammation does help. Eating a salad or something made with some apple cider vinegar also has helped.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Don't know much about chiropractors, but I do have a product all natural that might help ease the pain, if you are interested pm me.

Answer by older at 5:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Apple cider vinegar has been reported to reduce swelling and inflammation. Jogging in a Jug is one product my mom tried years ago but you can also make your own by mixing fruit juice with 1 ounce of apple cider vinegar. I had swelling, stiffness and inflammation only recently and tried this and it seemed to help. The taste is awful so I don't drink it every day like you're supposed to but I try to include apple cider vinegar in more foods and salad dressings now. Almond chocolate milk with extra vitamin D & E and calcium also seems to help. I think I get some inflammation due the hormones in regular milk. Bulk up on more vegetables and seafood, like kale and salmon. Flax seed oil supplements also help with improving circulation. You can also do your own paraffin wax hand treatments or electronic warming gloves. Maintaining warmth is key to reducing the autoimmune response.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I think you might find the following to be of interest:

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/chiropractic/how-select-best-chiropractor

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2013