Special Education Question

My stepson, who is just finishing his junior year of high school, was thrilled to have two A's on his report card, which is amazingly good for him. One of them is in his new astronomy class, which he's loving--and I'm loving it because it's actually gotten him to take an interest in school for the first time in the ten years I've known him. The other is in a class called Effective Education. I asked him what the class was, and in typical teenage fashion, he said he didn't know. I asked him what he did in the class, and he said lots of things, but he wouldn't elaborate. Then he said, "Its like a special ed transition thing."

So, any of you who have special needs students, particularly older ones, can you shed any light on what the class might be about? I'm curious, more than anything else.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in

• If he's on an IEP it's a class that deals with transitioning into life after high school mostly. They deal with study skills, time management, etc. I co-teach a few of these classes right now - we call it Academic Support in my high school. There are many topic covered so i may be hard for him to tell you what the class really is. It should have been explained during his IEP meetings at some point. Here are a few links that may help... 

http://www.greatschools.org/special-education/health/873-transition-planning-for-students-with-ieps.gs

http://www.naset.org/transplanning2.0.html

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Each of these programs are designed by the schools themselves so only the teacher can specifically say what their curriculum is. However it's my understanding that Effective Education tries to prepare kids for higher education by focusing on writing and speaking skills, especially grammar.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Depending on how highly he is functioning, it could be like what Crafty said, & be in preparation for life after high school. They could be training him to have life skills, like balancing a checkbook & making a budget, to finding a job that he's best suited for. They took my oldest & his class out to different job locations so they could try out different jobs to see what they like & don't like. Some of those places end up hiring them after they graduate. Your husb. may also want to look into becoming his legal guardian once he becomes 18.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Thanks. I've never been in on the IEP thing. I'm not the mama, not invited.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2013