Can someone explain why?

My boyfriend took his son to the doctor yesterday. Some tests will be done over the summer to figure out if he sustained a birth injury, or if some of his mental and emotional problems are linked to genetics. It's mostly so we have the proper documentation before he turns eighteen in case he needs to get on Disability. But the doctor told my boyfriend that if his problems are genetic, there will be more services available to him. Why would that be?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Something you're born with is likely not to get better. If he is permanently disabled in some way, and you don't think he can make sound decisions for himself, your husb will also need to become his legal guardian. You will need to contact a probate court attorney to help you with that. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Perhaps because there is certain funding for some genetic disorders that there isn't for birth injury? If it is a genetic problems at times they can treat it more then an injury. With an injury if it hasn't healed after a few years it isn't going to but a genetic disorder always has a chance of being treated or cured in the future.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Maybe genetic is easier to prove? Genetic testing gives proof, whereas maybe the birth injury would be more speculation at this point? That would be my best guess, or like tnt said, genetic disorders always have that chance of a treatment or cure being found.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Really? I haven't heard that before. I wonder if it is because it would be somehow easier to label.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• it all really depends on his exact diagnosis...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Because genetic diseases are beyond your control, meaning you're likely to get more assistance, versus something that happened to him. Birth injury would be redirected to malpractice claims.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• "medical services" or "financial services"? I can see with the push for studying genetics, there might be more available in both categories.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• If he is permanently disabled in some way, and you don't think he can make sound decisions for himself, your husb will also need to become his legal guardian. You will need to contact a probate court attorney to help you with that.

Yeah, we're looking into that. What a cluster f**k that's going to be!
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• ^^^Ballad- becoming his guardian won't be as bad as you think. I became my son's guardian. We just had to have his family Dr. fill out some paperwork & every year I have to file some simple paperwork w/ the courts. It's in his best interest to do that, so that no one can take advantage of him. And it gives you some peace of mind. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Thanks. I'll pass the news along. The specialist we talked to made getting guardianship sound like a very long an involved process, but maybe she overstated it.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2013