BSA decision

I'm having a hard time dealing with the Boy Scouts decisions on if they'll allow gays into scouts. We are Catholic and I'm having a hard time deciding if my son should stay in or quit.
Last I heard voting was on May 5th. - my sons been in scouts sense he could join being a tiger cub.
I put him in because of lack of participation from him father.

Anyone else having these issues?
What decisions have you made?

I just doing see raising my children going to church, having values, etc.
what message would I be sending if he stayed in scouts?
He's now 12 / 7th grade.

Any thoughts?
What would you do?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• My kids will never be in Boy Scouts because they exclude gays and atheists.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• So you're ok with an organization who's known for their straight leaders molesting young boys and men.. But you have an issue if gays are in scouts!?

My son isn't allowed to join BSA because they're a bigoted group.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• what message would I be sending if he stayed in scouts?

Probably a better one than your reasoning for having him join scouts due to "lack of participation from his father". Now he can be in scouts and learn how not to be a bigot or discriminate against people which are more important values.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Now as it is, BSA is still just as bigoted as you are OP. So I thank my stars I have all girls and don't have to worry about how "awful" it would be if gays were allowed in scouts because it really isn't. There are far worse things to worry about
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Krist, the new changes are if they " come out" they are not welcome in Boy Scouts after they turn 18 & they can't be leaders.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Hmm that doesn't seem to be the same thing the OP was implying the changes would be. It seemed the OP was upset at the prospect of BSA allowing gays to join and be scouts.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Now of course I dont' have boys so I haven't looked into this very much so I was just going by what the OP stated. Which seemed to be that she is thinking about taking her kid out of scouts if they allow gays in which just goes to further show how much of a bigot she is.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Oh gay children can now, but if they want to go any farther once they achieve Eagle Scout they can't come out ever, and f you're a gay male you can't be a leader. Also if you come out at anytime you're not welcome after you hit 18 because they still have Christian values to uphold. Pfffftttt.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Oh so in other words they put a big smiley face sticker on saying "See we accept gays" while lying through their teeth and coming up with even more bigoted positions to justify the discrimination.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Let's see, if it passes maybe he'd learn compassion & respect for gays.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2013