BSA decision

I'm having a hard time dealing with the Boy Scouts decisions on if they'll allow gays into scouts. We are Catholic and I'm having a hard time deciding if my son should stay in or quit.
Last I heard voting was on May 5th. - my sons been in scouts sense he could join being a tiger cub.
I put him in because of lack of participation from him father.

Anyone else having these issues?
What decisions have you made?

I just doing see raising my children going to church, having values, etc.
what message would I be sending if he stayed in scouts?
He's now 12 / 7th grade.

Any thoughts?
What would you do?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yep Kristi! My boys never attended boy scouts because of their lack of morals or values.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• My boys never attended boy scouts because of their lack of morals or values.

^^Same here.
    Was this question posted to start drama? I don't think many people here actually agree with their policies.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Well damn, the more I read, the more I think pull him out now and put him in a more accepting organization.
    But, obviously, you won't do that.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Son-Mom? Why are you taking me out of Scouts?
    Mom-Because son, I don't like the ideal of you belonging yo a group that allows gays
    Son-Hate to burst your bubble mom but Father Tim is gay and so is Father John and Father Samuels! Does this mean I no longer have to attend mass?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• It's a damn shame that BSA ever even made an issue out of whether members can be gay or not. My brother loved Boy couts and benefitted a lot from it. He got Eagle Scout when he was only twelve and a half, which at the time was a record for one of the youngest ever. The fact that he came out as gay when he became an adult didn't change how hard he had worked in Scouts or what he had achieved; it shouldn't have changed how anybody in the organization felt about him.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Even if they let in gay kids they still discriminate against non-Abrahamic faiths, so don't worry, you can still raise a good little bigot by letting him join.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• LMAO NP! I just choked on my coffee!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• He's 12 now. At some point you have to start letting him make decisions on his own about certain things. You could try talking to him about it.

Then again, I would have never let my son (if I'd had one) join scouts anyway, so idk....

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Oh for Pete's sake. Why does it matter if they decide to 'let in the gays'? I don't know if you know this or not but your child's school allows gay students and teachers. Your local hospital treats gay people and I bet you anything there are a few gay doctors or nurses there to. If your kid plays sports... they won't have an agenda to keep out gay coaches or players. Many people who help and influence you or your child everyday may very well be gay. The other fact is none of them are trying to make you or your son become gay. Even if they are in the Boy Scouts! I guaranteeing there will not be a gay pride badge any more than there would be a straight pride one. So I guess in the end the real question is... how far are you really willing to go to keep your child away from gay people? Better find a big bubble.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• My son is in cub scouts. We have belonged to a more accepting pack where there were kids of many different religions and we did not list a religion on our registration forms. I personally do not have any issues with allowing gay kids or leaders into the packs. Their policies for leaders are in place to make sure that no adults are alone with the boys so the adults are always accountable to another adult. Additionally, gay does not = pedophile. Scouting isn't about teaching the boys about sexuality, so a scout or leaders sexual preference shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

As for what message it sends him? Well, I would guess the message would be that in life you will need to work with and communicate with many people that are different than you are. Just because someone is different than you doesn't mean they are less than you.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2013