BSA decision

I'm having a hard time dealing with the Boy Scouts decisions on if they'll allow gays into scouts. We are Catholic and I'm having a hard time deciding if my son should stay in or quit.
Last I heard voting was on May 5th. - my sons been in scouts sense he could join being a tiger cub.
I put him in because of lack of participation from him father.

Anyone else having these issues?
What decisions have you made?

I just doing see raising my children going to church, having values, etc.
what message would I be sending if he stayed in scouts?
He's now 12 / 7th grade.

Any thoughts?
What would you do?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'm implying more from moral values and religious beliefs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• While we are Catholics I have no problems with "gays" being in Boy Scouts or anywhere for that matter. What difference does it make if the leader is gay or straight??? They are no more likely to abuse your child then a straight male. I think this whole thing is rediculous, and that is one of the reasons I haven't put my son in BSA. He did go to AWANA club for a while until we moved and loved it. But that is more religous teaching then outdoor stuff.

You are teaching him that they are less then and to be avoided, does that mean he should quit a job because his boss or coworker is gay?? You are setting him up for failure.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

Morality has absolutely NOTHING to do with religion. You just just hiding behind the bible because you think it coincides with your own bigotry.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• To bad your religious and moral beliefs won't protect him from all the gays in the real world. What on earth would you do if your precious catholic son came to you and said he was gay?

Shun him?
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• If you are expecting your son to get his morals and values from scouting then gays are the least of your problems.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• yup be careful of those gays you'll get cooties and all your morals will go down the drain.................my goodness you sound very uneducated and lack culture. Teach acceptance I think your religion has taught you to value hate over love. sad very sad oh and I bet your son is actually gay...now what are you going to do lol

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 9:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Morals and values should be taught at home, not at some extracurricular activity. Does he play sports? Does he go to public school? You have to face the fact that your views on this matter are becoming the minority, and that your son will be exposed to *gasp* people who are gay, and/or who support the gay community. You cannot keep a 12 yr old in a bubble forever. He probably already knows far more about the subject than you will ever know or ever be willing to learn.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

What exactly do you think having boys/men who happen to be gay in the boy scouts would change as far as the values and morals they teach? They would still learn and do the exact same things. The only thing that would change is that more boys/men would be allowed to take part. How is that harmful to your religion or morals? I am pretty sure no one is going to stand up and announce their sexual preference at the den meetings.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

^^ Obviously the moral values you want your kids to learn are different than the ones I want my kids to learn. If for some reason BSA stops teaching hatred and bigotry, I'm sure your church will fill in and teach him just fine.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• How is that harmful to your religion or morals? I am pretty sure no one is going to stand up and announce their sexual preference at the den meetings.

Nahh they will just grab em by the hand and magically force their gay upon them.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2013