BSA decision

I'm having a hard time dealing with the Boy Scouts decisions on if they'll allow gays into scouts. We are Catholic and I'm having a hard time deciding if my son should stay in or quit.
Last I heard voting was on May 5th. - my sons been in scouts sense he could join being a tiger cub.
I put him in because of lack of participation from him father.

Anyone else having these issues?
What decisions have you made?

I just doing see raising my children going to church, having values, etc.
what message would I be sending if he stayed in scouts?
He's now 12 / 7th grade.

Any thoughts?
What would you do?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• And he is in Boy Scouts not cub scouts anymore, all thief activities are without parents.

Wait you want him to learn morals and the boy scout organization he is in is teaching the boys how to STEAL?????
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• If I take him to church teaching him being gay is morally wrong but than allow him into an organization that allows it - what am I telling him?

His church is bigoted and he doesn't have to be
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Private Catholic school. His BSA leaders have all said they'd quit if this is passed. So I have my answer.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• My con ern is teaching a belief. If I take him to church teaching him being gay is morally wrong but than allow him into an organization that allows it - what am I telling him?

there is a HUGE difference between a gay bar and an organization that hold no bias based on sexual preference. That was one of the stupidest comparisons I have ever seen. The gay bars purpose is a place where people who share that sexual preference can meet. Boy Scouts purpose is to teach boys team work, helping others and how to help themselves. Gay or straight has nothing to do with it. NOTHING.

Also just to be clear- you do realize he belongs to a school that allows gay people right? He is already a part of an organization that has no bias. Unless of course he is home schooled... or possibly private schooled...
    Anonymous

• The straight kids aren't planing sexual activities within the scouting organization. You are pushing your fears onto your child. What happens when he gets older and is just out of college with a degree and a student loan to pay off and the job of his dreams is offered to him by a gay CEO? Will he refuse to take the job because he will be subordinate to a business leader that also happens to be homosexual?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Ok but why would you let your son join an organization that's well known for its leaders molesting children? You're so worried about your moral beliefs but that's acceptable. What exactly are you telling him, look how many boys are molested by catholic priests and other clergy.but you're worried about the gay boys that may or may not be in your troop. You're nothing but a hypocrite. End of story.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• And he is in Boy Scouts not cub scouts anymore, all thief activities are without parents. It's scouts the boys are the scouts who learn from each other and plan thiier own activities.
    I understand tolerance and they will be everywhere but I'm not letting my son go into a gay bar just because he's going to see it everywhere anyhow... (Just am example)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let's look at it as a life's lesson. From what I understand they are ok with gay boys being members, just not gay men as leaders. (hypocrisy, yes) But these kids (gay and straight) are going to be interacting with one another all throughout life. It's a good thing to teach children tolerance at a young age. The scouts do teach some good things. I believe we should concentrate on the positive. I'm keeping my son in the scouts until he chooses to leave. Gays boys are not going to make straight boys gay. If you have concerns about over night events then don't let him do overnight things. There is so much kids can learn that is positive about the scouts. If all else fails then pray for them all but I wouldn't cheat my son out of the scout experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• If you're going to be alongside your kids in most of their activities, I see no problem. There are gays everywhere else and you don't second guess that. At the grocery store, in restaurants and heck even some male and female teachers are gay. Gay does not equal criminal. In fact, straight teachers have more of a tendency to be sexual predators and women as well. Don't judge based on sexuality, base it on sanity and stability.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2013