BSA decision

I'm having a hard time dealing with the Boy Scouts decisions on if they'll allow gays into scouts. We are Catholic and I'm having a hard time deciding if my son should stay in or quit.
Last I heard voting was on May 5th. - my sons been in scouts sense he could join being a tiger cub.
I put him in because of lack of participation from him father.

Anyone else having these issues?
What decisions have you made?

I just doing see raising my children going to church, having values, etc.
what message would I be sending if he stayed in scouts?
He's now 12 / 7th grade.

Any thoughts?
What would you do?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• My kids will never be in Boy Scouts because they exclude gays and atheists.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• So you're ok with an organization who's known for their straight leaders molesting young boys and men.. But you have an issue if gays are in scouts!?

My son isn't allowed to join BSA because they're a bigoted group.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Even if they let in gay kids they still discriminate against non-Abrahamic faiths, so don't worry, you can still raise a good little bigot by letting him join.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• I'm implying more from moral values and religious beliefs.

Morality has absolutely NOTHING to do with religion. You just just hiding behind the bible because you think it coincides with your own bigotry.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• what message would I be sending if he stayed in scouts?

Probably a better one than your reasoning for having him join scouts due to "lack of participation from his father". Now he can be in scouts and learn how not to be a bigot or discriminate against people which are more important values.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Let's see, if it passes maybe he'd learn compassion & respect for gays.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Oh for Pete's sake. Why does it matter if they decide to 'let in the gays'? I don't know if you know this or not but your child's school allows gay students and teachers. Your local hospital treats gay people and I bet you anything there are a few gay doctors or nurses there to. If your kid plays sports... they won't have an agenda to keep out gay coaches or players. Many people who help and influence you or your child everyday may very well be gay. The other fact is none of them are trying to make you or your son become gay. Even if they are in the Boy Scouts! I guaranteeing there will not be a gay pride badge any more than there would be a straight pride one. So I guess in the end the real question is... how far are you really willing to go to keep your child away from gay people? Better find a big bubble.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Oh gay children can now, but if they want to go any farther once they achieve Eagle Scout they can't come out ever, and f you're a gay male you can't be a leader. Also if you come out at anytime you're not welcome after you hit 18 because they still have Christian values to uphold. Pfffftttt.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• Son-Mom? Why are you taking me out of Scouts?
    Mom-Because son, I don't like the ideal of you belonging yo a group that allows gays
    Son-Hate to burst your bubble mom but Father Tim is gay and so is Father John and Father Samuels! Does this mean I no longer have to attend mass?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2013

• It's a damn shame that BSA ever even made an issue out of whether members can be gay or not. My brother loved Boy couts and benefitted a lot from it. He got Eagle Scout when he was only twelve and a half, which at the time was a record for one of the youngest ever. The fact that he came out as gay when he became an adult didn't change how hard he had worked in Scouts or what he had achieved; it shouldn't have changed how anybody in the organization felt about him.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2013