How would you turn this smoke detector off?!

I am at my mother in laws. They have a 3 story house. The basement has a smoke detector that has a battery going out. It beeps every 10 to 20 seconds. The detector is on the ceiling which equates to the third floor from the basement. It is above a flight of stairs. There is no way to balance a 30 foot ladder there. It is SO annoying. How the hell are they supposed to reach this thing?? No one here has any idea. I am stumped too. They want to hire someone to get to it. Do you have any bright ideas?? Seriously only spiderman could reach this thing.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I'd get a long rod like one you change high light bulbs on the ceiling with that has an extension piece that slides out & knock it off the ceiling. BUT make sure it is not connected to their alarm system if they have one (with central station monitoring). If it is connected to an alarm system then the alarm company can change the battery. If it isn't then break it off the ceiling then go & get a new smoke alarm & stick it somewhere more accessible. BTW, Are you having a nice vacation? Post pics!!! :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• bash it with a long stick?? lol sounds like you would really need one of those ladders where you can adjust both sides to seperate hieghts. But buying one would probably cost the same or more then hiring someone.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Throw a rock at it? I wish I had something more to offer. How's your trip?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• got a gun? ;0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• call a painter, They have al those ladders so they can paint that ceiling.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• An electrician might be able to help too. They have ladders to put ceiling fixtures in cathedral ceilings.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Yeah ... $$$$$ lol.

staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• If it were connected to the alarm system it would not be beeping now as the reason it starts to beep is due to the battery being low. As for how to reach it good question. I would call some one who paints or installs electrical stuff.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Sheeeeet. It's hooked up to house power, so the battery isn't dying but it is asking to be "tested" or something. Seriously every 10 seconds there is a loud beep in the house!! We would have to knock the cover off and clip the wires or something to turn it off!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• just shut off the breaker.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 6:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2013