Temporary Tats

My five-year-old loves them; she considers them a fashion accessory and always has two or three of them to show off. Her nanna gave me an earful yesterday, saying she read someplace the ink in them isn't safe. I can't find anything on the Internet about them. Has anyone heard this?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2013 in Kids' Health

• She's maybe thinking back to the days when there were stories of drugs being concealed in the ink ... and being handed out to kids by drug dealers. False, of course.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/drugs/bluestar.asp

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• News to me. Maybe she's concerned that one day she'll want permanent tats and she's just trying to scare you.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• They're applied by water so I don't see how it's unsafe. It's more safe than using a sharpie market on your skin. Nanna is just trying to spook you.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• She is probably referring to Henna Tattoos. There was a recent news report that Henna Tattoos (which are temporary) can be dangerous.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:02 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• There's nothing wrong with them. My boys have them all the time. She's just trying to scare you - maybe she hates tattoos and figures if she tells you this, you'll stop letting her wear them and somehow that will keep your daughter from ever wanting a real one. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• never heard of them having any issues.

Jersysmom- that is probably the "black" henna that you are referring to- BAD BAB BAD (it is not actually henna)

Henna is is fine for *most people
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Exactly what The two ladies above said. ^^^
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Thanks, charlotsomtimes, for the correction. I did mean the black henna tattoos. Here is a news article about it- http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2013/03/26/fda-beware-of-black-henna-tattoos/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• There was a big story about the black "henna" tattoos being bad a while ago and they are called temporary tattoos also. Personally we stay away from them unless I am buying them and have the ingredients as my daughter has had allergic reactions to them, but she has issues with soaps too and we can only use Ivory without her breaking out in hives.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• they're fine. my mil was giving my dh hell about my dd having a fake tattoo sleeve. she's crazy
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2013