Worried that my wedding dress will go out of style or that it won't fit :(

A few weeks ago I finally found my wedding dress...and I'm in love with it. Well...the very next weekend I found out that I'm pregnant! What a blessing :)

Due to the pregnancy however, we have decided to move the wedding back. It was originally going to be this fall, but now it's going to be NEXT fall.

I'm worried that it's going to go ut of style :( It's an off white dress...mermaid style with a slight train. It has little off the shoulder thin sleeves. It's adorable. But everyone keeps telling me that I shouldn't have bought it...well how was i supposed to know?? I keep getting people asking "do you think it'll fit after the baby?" "do you think you'll still like it?" "what if it goes out of style?"

Now I'm feeling very insecure and the bridal shop it non return non refundable. I'm sure I can get my body back in shape after the baby but I'm more worried about the other stuff.

What should I do ?? :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• I'd worry more about it fitting than no longer being in style. Normal letting out alterations are not too costly but, if panels need to be added, you're looking at a big expense depending upon how detailed the dress is. You may be able to get 50% of the dress back if you pursue it. I used to work in bridal. The standard way of pricing gowns is to double the price paid from the manufacturer (which is why 50% down is required) and then to add on shipping costs. You could try for half back because the store could possibly sell your dress as is off the rack, as a sample.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• I worked in an eveningwear Boutique for many years. I can tell you that styles do NOT change quickly when it comes to eveningwear/bridal gowns. If you loved it & didn't buy it then you would probably have spent all next year tyring to find the same dress. So, congrats & it will be beautiful. BTW, I weighed less after both my kids were born than before I got pregnant! So just because you are pregnant doesn't mean you are going to end up looking like a house. Eat right for you & the baby!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• If you love the dress what does the style matter? I would worry more about the fit though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Wedding dresses never go out of style. My mother's would look great today. Mine too, it's just what looks better on you. But the fit is another thing. You will just have to wait and see. Babies can do bad things to mommy's bodies. You might have to buy another. Will they take it back?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Exactly^^^

And, if it's a true mermaid style, that means it's fitted in the waist, stomach, butt & thighs: the main problem areas after child birth.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• It won't go out of style. Wedding gowns stay in the catalogs for YEARS.
    As far as baby weight- that's up to you. You can eat healthy and exercise starting now so you don't gain too much, and it will be easier to lose.
    Most gowns have up to 2 inches seam allowance in them, they're meant to be altered. You can count on about 10 lbs being equivalent to 1 inch. Proper undergarments will work wonders, too.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• *most* gowns can be adjusted up two 2 sizes in either direction so I would not worry too too much about that.

And style? Shoot the only thing that matter is that you look gorgeous in it and you already know you do!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• ^^^That's not accurate, 1 size let out & a few sizes let in. The reason why people are measured prior to gowns being ordered is because designer gowns are not made in the same way that ready to wear is.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• That style wedding dress has been popular for more than a quarter century. Not likely to go out of style. Indeed, wedding dresses RARELY go out of style.

But fit is indeed a consideration. Pregnancy makes permanent changes to your body that cannot be exercised away; your hips will be wider because of changes to the bone structure.

If it doesn't fit, you can sell it on craigslist.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• One other thought. Don't move the wedding back. Move it UP. You can still wear the dress as-is for a while. It may not be the big party you wanted, but I can tell you that 20 years post-nuptuals the ONLY thing I vividly remember from my wedding is that my dad was on Valium!

The important thing about a wedding is the joining of two people. The rest of it, pretty trivial, despite what the wedding industry wants you to believe!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2013