Breast feeding problems feeling really sad

I am a fourth time mommy and my son is a week old I am breast feeding and bottle feeding because I have to go to school all day during the week but I have been home all weekend and I have been breast feeding and pumping and I haven't been putting out a whole lot of milk I was putting out at least two oz between the two breast but now I am barley pumping out an oz am getting really depressed and have an inadequate feeling as a mom I don't know if this is normal or how to fix it

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you pump with your older children? I was able to breastfeed both of my kids no problem, but I couldn't get much out at all if I pumped.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Yes but my husband said I had the same issue with the pumping but I don't remember it
    jesslovesyou08

Comment by jesslovesyou08 (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• If you are able to breastfeed from the source and your baby is still having enough wet and dirty diapers, I wouldn't worry too much. You can always pump more often to increase your supply, but don't judge how much you are MAKING by how much you are PUMPING.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• I had a lot of breastfeeding problems. Keep trying, and like JJK said, don't judge how much you are making by how much yu are pumping. The bigger thing is, don't judge your adequacy as a mom on how much milk you can produce, or if you are able to nurse or not. I know it's sad when nursing doesn't work like you want it to, but you have years and years to be a great mom in a lot of ways even if you end up bottle feeding. Please, please remember that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• An ounce is still normal pump output. So no sadness here. As little as half an ounce is normal!

What pump? When are you pumping?

Please drop over to the breastfeeding moms group... we have a TON of info in our resources sticky there that can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• I have a madela pump in style breast pump and I pump late at night
    jesslovesyou08

Comment by jesslovesyou08 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Late at night, if you get two drops it's a bloody miracle! Supply is lowest at night. Pump output is lowest at night. Don't even bother pumping at night... sleep instead.

Pump in the MORNING.

How are baby's dipes? If those are still good you're fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Yeah he is pooping and peeing just fine but even after I breast feed he isn't full and has to have a bottle
    jesslovesyou08

Comment by jesslovesyou08 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• I've found I have the best results pumping early in the morning... Put your LO on one side and the pump on the other. It takes a bit of juggling at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's time-efficient to do both at the same time.

Also, you said that you have to go to school during the day. Make sure to take your pump with you and get in at least one pumping session every few hours...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2013

• It's OK if he acts unsatisfied... that's his job to promote your supply. Breast one till he comes off on his own. NO TIMING. Burp. Offer breast two till he comes off on his own. Burp again. Back to breast one. Repeat till he no longer wants a breast.

Stop the bottles when you're with him... that's doing the damage. Every bottle is depriving your body of the make milk signal. Unpleasant unsatisfied babies are the BEST milk boosters.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2013