How tough is the homestudy going to be?

Ok, I'm nervous as heck about this one. I'm totally comfortable with the whole interviews and relationship scrutiny and background checks and everything. We've got nothing to hide there. But our house? Plenty of room for a kid I know, easily child-proofed I think, immaculately clean, well... and renovations not completely done - eek! Are they going to go over every inch of the house, or are they just checking for general safety stuff? I guess what I'm asking is, how much should I be freaking out about it? Thanks!

sixstringkate

Asked by sixstringkate at 11:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• My parents went throught this when adopting my brother. I was 18 at the time and all they really looked for was house was clean, he had his own bed to sleep in(in our case own bedroom as well), talked with each family member and how we all felt about this adoption.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Boy I hope that's the case! We've got a great family, I just don't want to not be able to adopt if we don't get all the baseboards done on time! Thanks!
    sixstringkate

Answer by sixstringkate at 12:00 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We had a gigantic hole in the floor right outside our bathroom door where the subflooring had caved in due to water damage for most of the time our homestudy was being completed. (My father was slow to get over and help my un-handy husband fix it!) The workers had to jump over it to see the rest of the house, lol. The entire process wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• When we had our homestudy done back in 2005, the social worker did not go over every little thing in our house. We sat in the family room and did the interviewing process and then we gave her a quick tour of the house...that was it. We were told that we should baby-proof within the next couple of months, but that was it. Probably you will be told to get the renovations done as soon as possible.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• No need to freak out! These workers want to see you become a family! They are their to help you! Just be honest, and it will all work out fine.
    Anonymous

• Have your met your Case Worker? We knew, and had met ours...and she was very pleasant and all went well. They do check everything safety wise...outlets, steps etc... Relax you will do fine!
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We adopted our son 3 years ago. Just make sure you have all the proper safety devices. A biggie is putting anything poisonous behind locked doors. Congratulations! Adoption is a wonderful thing! ;)
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 12:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was totally freaked out beforehand too, made my dh clean the entire basement due to the clutter(and she didn't even go down there). Like others said, they are looking to make sure you meet the state requirements (and for us it was to make sure we met foster care requirements as our state requires us to be a licensed foster care home) THey measured the size of the to-be nursery, looked at space between stair railing posts, and made sure we had our fire escape plan posted (I'm sure our infant will really need to know where that is lol!) It went very quickly and was not nearly as big a deal as I suspected.
    muptgirl

Answer by muptgirl at 10:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It really wasn't bad at all for us. (It's the waiting to be matched with a birth mother that's the most difficult part). Of course there was a lot of paperwork involved, getting finger printed etc. (Which is funny because hubby and I are both teachers and have already been finger printed several times for our jobs). But the interview process was actually quite therapeutic and made me more confident about becoming a first time parent. I learned so much about myself as well as my husband. I believe everyone should have to answer those tough questions before becoming a parent. The most difficult part for me was finding my birth certificate. I had to order a new one from Vital Statistics in Sacramento which took 4 months!
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Feb. 20, 2009