My son used to cry when going to grandma and grandpas, now he cries when he has to come home :(

He went through a phase where he would cry if I dropped him off at grandma and grandpas, but today he cried when he got home and said he wanted to go back and that he missed grammy, even when he just saw her for 2 days. This broke my heart, but also made me really angry. My 6 year old son doesn't even want to be with me. I'm not really looking for advice, just letting off some steam, and some tears :,(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have an anger problem? That seems like an odd thing to get mad at. Just because your child misses his grandparents doesn't mean that he doesn't want to be with you.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• It is normal and doesn't mean he doesn't want to be with you. He just had a great time at grammy's house and didn't want to stop. Most kids go through phases like this. Don't be mad at your son for it. There is no reason for that. Yeah, it is a little sad when they say they want to be somewhere else, but it doesn't have anything to do with you.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Jeremysmom- No I don't have an anger problem. He goes to grammys every weekend and has never done this before. So it made me upset. There always has to be that one person to kick a person while they're down on this website though, so thank you for that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Kids are like this. Really I wouldn't let it get to you. Let him know granny misses him too and he'll see her soon.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• It was just a question. I was going to suggest going to a therapist if you did have an anger problem. I think it's a silly thing to get mad at. Not that an anger problem is a silly thing (trust me, my husband has dealt with anger issues, it's not fun). 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Kids really don't think how something they say will sound to the person they say it to. Your son probably just had fun with Grammy and was expressing a bit of sorrow that the weekend was over. It had nothing to do with how he feels about you. Hell, I get a little bummed when the weekend is over, doesn't mean I don't like the people I see during the week. It just means hey, I was hving a good time.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• He likes the grandparent more. Because they spoil him thats all. They probably let him do what he wants that's all. Just tell him he will see grndma next weekend. Leave it at that. He will get out of this stage. And not even want to go over their.

Answer by louise2 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• Totally normal hun, he spends a lot of time with them but don't take it personal, no one can replace YOU!

Answer by older at 8:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• My grandkids do the same thing and I see them almost everyday. Grandparents really never use the word NO LOL! It is totally normal don't be upset.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2013

• normal & good
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2013